05 6.0 Hot Start Problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2009, 12:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
05 6.0 Hot Start Problem

My friend started a thread a couple weeks back about my truck not starting when it was hot. I have a 05 F250 6.0 with about 143000 miles and the truck is stock. After cleaning the egr and replacing the fuel filters the problem went away, but now it's back worse than before. m-chan68 gave me a lot to look at and here is what I have.

After the truck is warm and sits, it will start come up to about 500 rpms and then die after 5 to 10 seconds. This will repeat a few times and then start fine. During the low rpms, I have no control with my accelerator pedal. I used Auto Enginuity and found that during the rough starts my desired ICP and true ICP range from 650 to 750psi. At hot idle my ICPR is about 22%. FICM_M is at 48.5 volts and stays during cranking and when running climbs to about 49.5V. FICM_V and FICM_L is at 11.5V and stays there during cranking time and when the truck is running climbs to about 13.5V

Today I drove about 1 mile to my parents house after letting the truck warm up and I lost my accelerator pedal control when I was in there drive way. Shut the truck off and restarted and had control again. The computer program showed the accelerator pedal was moving from 0% to 70% and throttle control was moving from 255 to 0 to 1, so I assume my pedal is fine.

Would all this point to my FICM going bad? I think I'm going to have to take it to the dealer, but I would like to know what I should expect from them. Does reflashing the FICM fix this? What does that exactly do? Or are these symptoms of something else?

Please Help!!
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2009, 05:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Also when I slow down at a stop sign my idle drops to 500rpms and slowly comes back to 700.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would suspect the accelerator pedal potentiometer is going bad not out yet but on the verge, giveing the PCM a migrain trying to compare/interpret the mixed readings it is getting from the CPS;VSS and TPS sensors.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Old 12-02-2009, 07:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I cleaned my turbo today according to DTS site. Test drove ran great with no turbo lag. Later tonight I got a code p0299 - underboost and the truck is sluggish with turbo lag, but then when the turbo kicks in its fine.

Also at idle it drops to 400-500rpms and wants to stall. Then kicks up to 1000 and then back to 700. Is this from the turbo? Did I mess up? or is this from something else that's causing the problems above.

Please help!!
Old 12-03-2009, 05:22 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Sounds like you have a couple of problems. First, sounds to me like your ICP sensor needs replacement. See if you can measure ICP pressure during a hot, no start situation. That might confirm it.

Second, your FICM sounds fine based on the voltages. Initially during cranking, there is a slight loss of current since it takes quite a bit to turn over these engines.

Third, your VGT solenoid sounds like it could be bad. How did your unison ring look? Was the hole a bit wallowed out?
Old 12-03-2009, 05:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Pics of the Turbo after cleaning

Old 12-03-2009, 05:40 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Unison ring looks perfect. My guess is VGT solenoid. There is a FoMoCo procedure to command the turbo to various points to verify the operation using the IDS. I'm not sure if the AE offers the same functionality.

Ford technicians can access the PCM PID monitor and select the #RPM and #VGTDC parameters. With the engine running, raise the RPM's to 1200 and actuate the VGTDC to 85% and dropping it to 0% repeating several times. You should hear the turbo spool up. For those who want more data can also monitor the EBP_A and MGP parameters looking for a change in boost pressure and exhaust back pressure.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:44 AM
one day at a time

Do you have the updated one piece fitting on your HPOP? The 05's were problematic with the original STC fitting leaking, causing no start hot condition.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I borrowed my friends ICP sensor and took the truck on a test drive. I did not have any of the problems. It started 30 minutes later with no problem. I'm going to replace my ICP sensor as soon as I get my hands on one and see if everything runs normal.

THANK YOU for all your help!!
I'll post a reply in a couple days if everything is good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.