Please help white smoke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2009, 02:18 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Please help white smoke

I have a 06 F350 6.0 PSD. I noticed the other morning that I had what looked to be the early morning steam coming from the exhaust. Didnt think nothing about it till later that day when it warmed up and I started the truck. It was still smoking white the more you got on the pedal the more it bellowed out of it. I didnt drive to far that day. The next day still the same thing but noticed after a few miles when the truck was warmed up it stoped smoking but stoped by a gas station ran in and came back out started the truck back up and it had the white smoke for just a few then went away. I noticed the next day that along with the white smoke I noticed when my truck was started that my RPM's was not reading get on the pedal and they would come up but let off and it would go back down to nothing. The truck itself was running like normal idle just not reading it on gauges. After the truck was turned off down the road and restarted when I was ready to go the gauges was reading and have been ever sense. The smoke in my option has just a diesel smell not coolant that I can tell it dont burn my eyes or anything when I stand in it. I am at a lost I had the truck on the computer about 2 months ago at my dealership I had to replace my turbo and # 3 injector, I had to replace my EGR valve about 2 weeks ago. The fuel filters was changed less then 1,800 miles ago and oil was changed 400 miles ago. I have been running Lucas in the fuel the past 2 fill ups. Please if you have any idea of what this is give me some ideas. The only time the truck seems to be running funny is when the white smoke is coming out once it stops it runs like normal. Thanks for all your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2009, 02:27 PM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
white smoke could be unburnt diesel fuel and could indicate an injector problem. Are your EGT's higher than normal?
Old 11-30-2009, 02:52 PM

my exhaust tempatures seem to be the same by my guages they dont seem to be any higher then before
Old 11-30-2009, 06:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i have a 06 also. had the same problem. took it to dealer they replaced 2 and 4 injectors and the egr cooler. picked it up didnt even get to the first red light and when i stopped at it had to roll up the windows because the white smoke was so thick it was filling up the cab. Took truck back and they replaced the egr cooler again, saying it was leaking again. But once again got truck back and still white smoke at start up and when taking off from a stop. dealer said the heads were fine. truck ran like crap so put xtreme street tune back on and just mash the pedal when it acts up. figured this time i would just run it till she blows and let them fix it under warranty! good luck!
Old 12-01-2009, 04:23 PM

White smoke is useually coolant but as stated it can be fuel especially if it kinda has a blue tint. Check your exhaust pipe for heavy water residue ,.or an oily feeling film it will be fuel. That is a kinda tatletale test.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:20 AM

Well got with the tech yesterday at the dealership. Here is what I found out. Ford has some kinda clean mode in the computer. Every so many miles the truck goes into this mode and it cause the truck to run a richer or somthing fuel through the system to clean the fuel system out. I was told it take a full 20 mins of driving to run the program and if you dont run it that long it will start over everytime you start the truck until you do. I was told I need to the new update it is suppose to keep this from happening at a idle and only do it when the truck in drive mode so you dont see it so bad. So I going to do the update later this week. Also I did drive the truck for a over 20 min yesterday and never noticed anymore smoke the rest of the day. I have not started it today yet but we will see what happens. Thanks for all your help and I hope this is all it is thats wrong.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:51 PM

News to me I didn't know the 6.0 had regen capabilities. The 6.4 and the newest one yes it has regen.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:46 PM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Take it to a different dealership. That tech doesn't have a clue...

Dannyboy is right! 6.4's have regen; 6.0's don't....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.