Turbo "fart" while accelerating and no power - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2009, 12:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Turbo "fart" while accelerating and no power

Got in my truck to run a few errands today and drove about a mile when it started farting and smoking black while I was accelerating. Also it has almost zero power and I had to limp home at 20 mph. The farting noise is the exact same as when it goes back through the intake when you let off to quickly. I replaced the egr about 2000 miles ago but just to be sure I pulled it back out to check if it was stuck and its fine. The turbo was replaced around 20,000 miles ago last January. I need to get this thing fixed ASAP as it is my only vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2009, 12:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Just a guess, but I had similar problems and it turned out that the turbo vanes were sticking. Had to remove the turbo, take it apart, clean it, and then reassemble and reinstall.

--Snake
Old 11-30-2009, 04:21 PM
Premium Member

check ur intercooler boots
Old 12-01-2009, 12:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

checked all pipes and connections..no leaks, disconnected the vgt wires and nothing changed same with egr disconnected nothing changed. I unhooked the batteries for like half an hour and let it idle then drove it and it still runs like shi*. I'm leaning towards the turbo vanes stuck but its hard to believe they would do that in 20,000 miles when its run hard everyday. Anymore Ideas as to what this could be? I really don't want to go to the dealership but need it running by this weekend.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:44 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesb23 View Post
checked all pipes and connections..no leaks, disconnected the vgt wires and nothing changed same with egr disconnected nothing changed. I unhooked the batteries for like half an hour and let it idle then drove it and it still runs like shi*. I'm leaning towards the turbo vanes stuck but its hard to believe they would do that in 20,000 miles when its run hard everyday. Anymore Ideas as to what this could be? I really don't want to go to the dealership but need it running by this weekend.
Are you able to check for codes? If so, what codes are you getting? Do you have access to a scan tool that can monitor live data? If you do, you need to look at your MAP, BARO and EBP readings. Compare what the three readings are at key-on/engine-off to start.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I got a scan tool and watched everything while I drove around and oddly it started running totally different and making zero boost. So I checked the codes and it had 2 that were turbocharger related and ALLDATA said to test vgt voltage and function. The voltage was ok so I put 12 volts right to the solenoid and the vgt was functioning. Long story short plugged it back in cleared the codes and the truck runs flawless I guess if it happens again i will just get a pig tail and vgt solenoid and replace them. Thanks for the input guys this site is great.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

That's good news! Glad to hear that you're up and running again!

--Snake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.