Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Miss in engine - showing multiple codes

5K views 19 replies 4 participants last post by  Chris4x4gill2 
#1 ·
I have just completed a good bit of work on my 6.0 - STC update, dummy plugs, standpipes, turbo rebuild, egr delete.

After completion I had a miss and pulled the following codes :
P0282 Cylinder 8 Injector Circuit Low
P0284 Cylinder 8 Contribution/Balance Fault
P0645 AC Clutch Relay Circuit Malfunction
P0678 Cylinder 8 Glow Plug Circuit Fault

Upon investigation found that the #8 injector connection was unplugged - I had to do some work on the metal clip to get it to hold tight, but upon replacement it passed a tug test and seemed to be attached snugly. I cleared the codes and after a test drive I quickly noticed that the problem was still there.

Same codes are popping up on my reader. I have not gotten back under the hood to see if the injector is still plugged in this time, but would something else cause this error? I did have the FICM out while doing the work. ECM was reprogrammed by PHP for the EGR delete.

Any suggestions for the AC Clutch relay? I swapped the relay with another with no change. tried jumping the pin at the condenser, seems like there isn't any power getting to the clutch but I cant figure out where the issue is. Any common problem areas to check?

See less See more
#2 ·
The injector harness is snug still. I pushed on it and put some pressure on the FICM side connection as well. I cleared the codes and at idle at least, P0282 has not returned. However, i do still have the P0284 Cylinder 8 Contribution/Balance Fault and the P0678 Cylinder 8 Glow Plug Circuit Fault

#3 ·
#4 ·
Thanks,

Ill look that over.

I went for a test drive and for the first while it ran great. I still showed the P0284 Cylinder 8 Contribution/Balance Fault code, but the P0282 Cylinder 8 Injector Circuit Low code was gone. It hickupped once, and I picked up the P0282. I cleared it and it didnt come back for a few miles. Then it seemed like once the engine warmed up good, the P0282 code came back and did not go away again. I stopped and pushed on both the injector side of the harness and the FICM side, one at a time, clearing and then recheckign for codes, I still had both the P0282 and P0284.

Any clue what that could mean? what would cause the P0282 once the truck warmed up?

#6 ·
I found the thread and downloaded all of the attachments. I guess some reading is in my future and then to pull the harness out for inspection.

#7 ·
You shouldn't really need to pull the harness out to inspect. Pulling some stuff to get to the harness may help. Then, a borescope or stick mirror and your fingers to start.

If you find something, well... then you may be pulling it. ...but hopefully not then, either.

#8 ·
I checked all of the injector harness on the DS. I did not find any broken wires or spots worn through the outer wraps. I checked the FICM connectors and the rear connector is missing one of the plastic clips that attaches it to the FICM. It seemed to still be attached snugly, no play in it while attached that I could tell. I have read that the middle plug is the one for the Cyl #8? not sure of that though. I unwrapped the wire coverings at the injector plug and at the FICM plugs to check for cracks but I have not found any.

Further reading has me thinking it may be an injector issue? Still not sure because it seems like it clears up after about 2000rpm. At least the truck runs smooth, the code is still present.

I believe I can rule out stiction as supposedly that only happens at a cold condition, and my problem seems to happen after the engine warms up.

I found this from back in 2015 from Toren302 in another thread:
toren302 said:
You have an injector that is bad. 99% of the ones that come in here that run good cold and then miss when warm/hot are internally failed injectors. The last 2 were broken intensifier springs. The thicker oil when cold adds just enough force to the injector to feel like it is firing when cold. Then when hot and the oil is thinner the combo, of the broken spring and thinner oil brings the miss to light. A contribution test is in order to pinpoint the offending hole.

#9 ·
Toren's a smart dude and that's good info. Because you quoted him, he's likely to stop by.

I'm pretty sure I have a diagram showing the injector assignment to the FICM connectors. I'll look it up when I'm on my PC. Toren would know that too, though!

#10 ·
That would be helpful if you find it. Thanks.

I think I'm going to look the harness over really well one more time and if I don't find anything, move on to an injector replacement.

I thought about swapping injectors to another cylinder to see if the problem follows, but I am leary of doing that due to how finicky these injectors seem to be.

#11 ·
Attached is the great little document on the FICM that I had in mind for finding your answer. ...and - wouldn't ya know - the answer was on the cover page!

The document is over the Draconian file size limit (grrr), so I broke it in two.

The cover might have the answer, but the whole thing is good reading.

Attachments

Reactions: Chris4x4gill2
#12 ·
Thanks again. Nothing pointing to the FICM being an issue yet and it was rebuilt by FICMRepair under their "lifetime" upgraded rebuild a few years back.

Reactions: djmaguire
#13 ·
Finally found "something".

Pin #2 on the cylinder 8 injector was bent. I dont see anyway that it was making contact, or possibly the other three. I bent it back, tried the plug and it went on, removed and checked again and everything is still straight. Going to put it all back together tomorrow and see what happens. Fingers crossed.

Attachments

#14 ·
That's a big something. Glad to read.

#15 ·
Following.

#16 ·
Fingers crossed still, but fixing the pin to ensure good contact seems to have fixed my problem. Before I had the Contribution code at startup and the injector code and miss after the engine got warm. After fixing the pin I have no codes on startup, no miss or codes after warmup. I put a few miles on it last night, made sure to take a route that had a few hills to add some load in the 15-1800 rpm range and everything was fine. Real test will be tonight when I put about 45 miles on it.

I reinforced the protection on the wiring harness while I had access. looked other areas over as well and added some wire loom and tape. The only problem area I found was on the turbo plug. Both wires were cracked and showing bare copper. The entire plug and first inch or two of wire is fairly brittle from heat. I wrapped both wires individually and then wrapped together and added wire loom. The plug really needs to be replaced. Anyone know if that part is available ?

Now, time to move on to the AC Clutch relay problem.

#17 ·
Here is the turbo plug.

Attachments

#18 ·
Part number: 6E7Z-12A690-DA
$8.49 at ANWBL
Just changed my pigtail a month or so ago.

and get some proper clamps for your turbo boots while you're at it. :poke

#20 ·
After about 100 miles or so, it is running great and no codes. Looks like that pin was the entire problem. Now to start woring on clearing the AC clutch code.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.