Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

P0299 Underboost-Going to rebuild Turbo but which parts?

2K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  mr.travo 
#1 ·
Hey guys I have a 2007 F350 CCSB with 113k miles, recently got the P02999 Underboost engine light so I changed the intercooler pipes/hoses out and still got the light...I should add that the turbo itself still spools up to about 28PSI when I punch it so I dont think its anything major, however; the turbo does surge, meaning if I am going 50mph at a steady speed on a flat road the turbo will go between 7 and 10 psi...I think the vanes are sticking so instead of spending 750$ for a new turbo from Garrett I am going to rebuild the turbo...Garrett makes a rebuild kit (740659-0010) with a copper 360* thrust bearing...Im also going to use the turbo hardware kit (3C3Z-9T514-AG) since theyre only like 12$...my question is, should I also buy a new unison ring since theyre only about 75$? and what about the vanes since theyre also like 75$? I know the ring can get worn out and the vanes can get all rusted up and can be the culprit of a sticky turbo which I may have anyway... If I were to buy all these parts its about 230$ total, much cheaper than a brand new turbo... Let me know thanks!!

Steve

#3 ·
Are you monitoring the VGT% and seeing them at 15% to 85%? That's what mine was doing till one morning I pulled out with zero boost and the ring & vanes stuck. At 113k you may not even need to rebuild it but you sure can if you want, probably just needs the unison ring and vanes cleaned.

Reactions: jokester00
#5 ·
Thanks for the response....No I don't have an actual electronic monitor that I can watch as I drive, I am only going off of the boost guage going up and down, plus you can hear the turbo going up and down when youre driving down the road...my buddy does have one of those fancy Snap-On touchscreen readers that cost 3,500$ but he said its either dirty or needs a rebuild but didnt think I would need new ring and vanes I was just curious about doing them....

maybe I will just buy the rebuild kit with new hardware its only 75$...at least I will get all new o-rings and a copper 360* thrust bearing for some piece of mind... when its apart if the vanes/ring are shot than I will know to replace them...I would imagine at such low milage its just a matter of dirty gunked up turbo...hopefully thats the case so I can spend the other $ on a coolant filter!

I sure hope its not the VGT Solenoid though!

Steve

#4 ·
Unfortunately, you won't know the condition of the vanes or unison ring till you get in there. If you can afford the downtime, i'd pull the turbo and inspect everything first before buying anything. I would also update the turbo drain tube (for sure) and the supply line (can do later easily) while you are in there. If it turns out to be the VGT solenoid, you can always deal with that later on with the turbo on the truck. Less money up front that you might not need to put out.

Also, unless you're having issues with the seal leaking or a bad bearing, I don't think you need to disassemble all the way. Just pull, clean, and reinstall.

-jokester

#6 ·
Thanks Jokester...yeah so far that seems to be the consensus about it likely being just all gunked up...I figure since the OEM Rebuild Kit and hardware is only 75$ with free shipping I will just go ahead and get it for the piece of mind but hold off on new ring/vanes Im sure theyre just dirty....yeah I hope its not the VGT Solenoid those things are expensive! at least I could do that with the turbo on the truck....

for the drain tube do you reccomend getting just a new OEM one or aftermarket? what about the supply line too? How much do they run? Thanks for the help....

Steve

#7 ·
I was gonna mention the updated oil feed and drain but he has an 07 and I wasn't sure if that was a production update or a service update. At any rate if you have the flex section in your turbo oil feed line, then get the solid updated one and the larger oil drain tube too.

Reactions: jokester00
#10 ·
Try Charlie, site sponsor and turbo king!
Here's a good write up on rebuilding it

But you really need to get a monitor on it, prolly the single best investment for a 6.0, I run a Edge Insight CTS2 Pro but there's other choices, here's a great write up,

Good luck with your turbo, don't be afraid to ask questions, there are some real great guys on here that'll really help you out :thumb:

Thanks for the help guys!

#9 ·
Here's a good write up on rebuilding it http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-0l-discussion/465706-reconditioning-6-0-turbo.html

But you really need to get a monitor on it, prolly the single best investment for a 6.0, I run a Edge Insight CTS2 Pro but there's other choices, here's a great write up, http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-0l-discussion/259257-write-up-monitoring-6-0l-psd.html

Good luck with your turbo, don't be afraid to ask questions, there are some real great guys on here that'll really help you out :thumb:

#11 ·
Well I got a OBDLink MX wireless code reader off Amazon (awesome product) and bought the Forscan software on my iPhone...its a huge help, and it goes more in depth for each error code than my buddies Snap On did and it stated that my P0299 Underboost could be caused by either a faulty EBP sensor or the VGT solenoid (god I hope not)...regardless I cleaned the EGR valve which was totally gunked up...rebuild kit should be here tomorrow and done over the weekend!

I can also monitor all the various sensors and guages on my "dashboard" of the Forscan app and the good news is that the VGT %s are right in that 15-85% range...everything appears within normal ranges with the exception of EGRTP_V input which shows 0 and does not move..the app says "this parameter indicates the EGR throttle position sensor voltage and the throttle plate is used in conjunction with the EGR valve for proper flow" etc etc...does an 07 even have the throttle position sensor/plate? IIRC I thought I read that they stopped using them in 04 so maybe thats why I am getting 0 there

#12 ·
update on readings

Hey guys I should add that today I took the rig for a drive and when you can hear the turbo surging (hopefully fixed by the turbo clean/rebuild this weekend) the VGT %, EGR DC %, EGR Vavlve Pos, EGR Throttle Pos, as well as EBP is surging as well....if you guys want I can get you screenshots from my phone but theyre all going up and down a little but the one that scares me is the EGR DC % that fluctuated a lot as well as EGR Valve Position Voltage....the VGT % surge is minimal it goes between around 65-60 when cruising at a steady speed...it does stay at 85% at idle

The good news is that my FICM stays steady at around 48.0-48.5, my Oil and Coolant are usually within about 10 degrees F....are these surges in readings that coincide with the turbo surging a result of the dirty turbo? I guess in theory if the turbo gets cleaned/rebuilt and nothing needs replacement in the turbo and this continues, then I need to check my EGR valve, EBP sensor and the VGT Solenoid? I should add that I did just clean the EGR Valve yesterday it was gunked up pretty bad although it appeared fine as did the o rings, and I will also clean the EBP sensor this weekend.....any help is appreciated, and tell me what other readings I should put up on my "dashboard" of the app to monitor! thanks...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.