No start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2009, 10:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No start

A few days ago I started the truck in the AM as usual to head into work. It started up but ran rough (like it was missing) for a few seconds and straightened out. Never had any problems with it the rest of the day.

The next morning it started up rough again, except this time it died. I was running the extreme race tune so I returned it to stock and tried again. (Thinking maybe the tune wouldn't idle as good with slightly cooler temps???) It restarted after I returned it to stock but idled rough (like the day before)for a few moments then cleared up and ran fine all day long.

That night I plugged the block heater in to see if it would help. The next morning it started fine and ran fine all day.

I don't think cold temps were to blame though as it was 45 degrees plus during these mornings and it was parked in the garage?

I hadn't drove it since, but decided to change the oil today and after filling the engine up with oil I tried to start it and it won't start. It's 59 degrees and I did not have it plugged up and it's still on stock tune.No DTC's and no CEL. It cranks over fine, tries to hit and then doesn't.

Anyone got any idea what it could be??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2009, 02:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I had to leave the truck alone for a few hours to do other things and then I went back to the garage to try something else. I unplugged the ICP and it started right up, maybe a little excessive cranking time, but it did start. It ran a little rough at first then smoothed out.

Is the ICP going??

I replaced the IPR a few months back so I doubt it's that, or maybe the screen could be dirty??

I left the trucks block heater plugged in tonight and it's inside the garage, I'll try to start it again tomorrow morning and see what happens.

Anybody have anything??

Last edited by BirddogTN; 11-29-2009 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i had the same problem except that a few days before it sounded like my power steering
pump was going that winny sound but it turned out to be the high pressure oilpump
which runs the injectors at 3100 psi be careful not to get sucked in with diagnostics
it is either electrical, fuel pump or cpu
Old 11-29-2009, 03:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yeah, I replaced the HPOP at the same time as the IPR, hope it hasn't gone bad in less than 10,000 miles?

I think it's either the ICP sensor or the FICM going out. I'll talk to my guy tomorrow and hopefully he can get it on the scanner so we can see what's going on.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:22 PM

what is the injection actuation pressure on start up or while cranking?
Old 11-29-2009, 04:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I won't know that until we can get it hooked up on the scanner, which will hopefully be tomorrow, if I can get it there, or get him to come here.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:47 PM

Yeah I am thinking that will help you out alot I have seen many trucks that have unusual readings on no starts. this should you out quite a bit
Old 12-03-2009, 05:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I finally got it hooked up on the scanner and was able to duplicate the issue. I left it overnight at the shop and did the scan this morning at start up.

Looks like I get to buy some sticks!

Pressure was at 600 at start of crank then jumped to 1200 while cranking so it looks like it's not a HPOPressure issue.

Low contribution on 3 or 4 cylinders so we did a buzz test and the injectors never really chattered like they should.

It did have a fault on #8 glow plug, could be harness related though as I believe I have some injector harness issues. I have suspected for a little while now that those existed though. In damp weather I can feel a slight shudder iat idle at stop lights and stops so I thoight I'd need to replace that soon anyway.

As long as I leave the block heater plugged in it will start everytime. I can drive it to work, start it at lunch and at the end of the day it will crank up and show no issues. It's just at cold start that I see the issue. I am still running 15W40 Motorcraft oil and some have suggested going to a thinner oil to help with start up issues in the 6 leaker.

Anyone have any input??
Old 01-30-2010, 04:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I wanted to come back and update this thread.

The truck would not start unless plugged in for several hours and eventually got to the point where it would miss badly at start-up. I tried some hot shots secret and it didn't help. I decided that I would check the FICM voltage at "key-on" position and had 48-49 volts so I assumed it was OK since the write up on FICM repair that was posted said nothing about checking voltage while cranking.

I re-checked the voltage today and while cranking and it dropped to 20 volts. I figured it couldn't hurt to try and solder the FICM board so I took it apart and re-soldered it.

I put it back together and it fired up and ran fine. No missing, no problems starting and it had not been plugged up for a week or better. It seems to have fixed my issue, time will tell!

Last edited by BirddogTN; 01-30-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

do you have the 4 pin or seven pin ficm?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.