Turbo Rebuild (Rebuid Or Replace) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2009, 12:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo Rebuild (Rebuid Or Replace)

Hey Yal I Have A 05 F-250 6.0 PSD And its got about 112,000 on it
I recently did my own custom egr delete and noticed that my turbo has a little bit more than normal Shaft play and noticed excess oil in the intercooler Lines. Now my question is can i get a rebuild kit or is there any places i can send my turbo to be rebuilt or should i just suck it up and order a new one Any info would be appricated Thanks

05 6.0 PSD
F-250 Reg, Cab Long bed 4X4
6spd
Edge Juice w/attitude
Straight pipe/ Full intake
Custom egr delete
detroit Locker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2009, 03:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Just about every place has a shop that rebuilds turbo's.
What determines whether you rebuild or not is how much wear is in the bearing housseing, the wear in the turbo it'self etc. The intercooler tubes can pick up oil from a saturated vent filter. On the bottom side of the plastic piece between the air filter and the turbo is a small hose that plugs into the valve cover the filter screen there can become saturated and need cleaning.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:11 AM

About every truck Ive seen has alittle oil the the ducts! What makes you think you need the turbo rebuilt, besides what you have posted here ?
Old 11-29-2009, 04:56 AM

Hey man noticed you live in Gloucester VA. I do as well. Drop me a line on here if you have not found out anything with your truck. It should be normal to have oil film in the cooler pipes. How much play do you have on the turbo shaft. I know that taking the turbo out on a 6.0 can be tricky. Talk to you later
Old 11-29-2009, 09:15 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Take the front cover off the turbo (the aluminum outlet side) and look at the impeller wheel and around it to see if the seal is leaking oil. If not, I would just pop the rest of it apart, clean up the unison ring and center housing for carbon, slap some anti-seize on al the bits inside that move around, and toss 'er back together.

There is generally oil carryover into the intake side of the engine from the crank case vent that enters the turbo inlet tube.

A lot of guys do...I can't remember what it's called... CCV bypass, or something. Apparently this keeps the sludgy crap from ending up in the turbo, charge air cooler and intercooler tubes.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

turbo

i Just noticed it when i pulled the turbo off and like i said it seemed to me that it had a lot of shaft play i mean it runs great and as far as i know that is the orginal turbo and the trucks got 112,000 on the clock. And the main thing is i was wonderin if there is a good site i can go to to get turbo parts for this vgt psd turbo and how hard would it be to rebuild it myself,

And Sure will Nick Where in Gloucester you live I am near the courthouse
If you have any question or need help wit ur truck i have prob been there done to mine lol. Thanks For the input guys
Old 11-29-2009, 10:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Big Angry Hillbilly

Hey man well i do appricate your help and i am pullin it off today and cleanin it
And for the valve cover vent tube in the intake do you think it would be a bad idea to reroute it down so it just goes out instead of in the intake
Old 11-30-2009, 06:46 AM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselmann6207 View Post
Hey man well i do appricate your help and i am pullin it off today and cleanin it
And for the valve cover vent tube in the intake do you think it would be a bad idea to reroute it down so it just goes out instead of in the intake
International does it on all their VGT365 (6.0l) and T444E (7.3l) engines. I have never seen the Maxforce 7 (6.4l) version, so I don't know if they still do that. If it is good enough for the engine manufacturer, it should be good enough for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.