Just got a new 6.0 5 days ago and already blew it up - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2009, 09:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just got a new 6.0 5 days ago and already blew it up

Hey guys I just got a 2003 F250 Supercab Lariat 4x4 short box with the 6.0 PSD. The truck only has 78k miles and yesterday I was pulling a half ton chevy to the mounds and blew the motor (i have only had the truck for 5 days). I was just driving down the road and lost almost all power (truck was still running). I went about a 1/4 mile like that and it stalled. Then crank no start. There are no service engine lights, fuses are all good, trans fluid, and coolant are good. Oil has metal shavings in (just had oil change 2 days ago at the dealership). So we took the chevy 1/2 ton off the trailer and put truck on the trailer (yes a chevy half ton with my f250 behind it) and pulled back home. I took it to the dealer because I got a warranty with it and they said that my high volume oil pump and injection relay were bad. Could somebody tell me if that seems right? I woud think if the oil pump was bad it would throw the service enginer light at least. Also if the pump went out why wouldn't the truck instantly stall. Why would the injection relay and pump go out at the same time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2009, 09:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to ABoyAndHisToys
At least you get a new motor in the truck under warranty? Have them stud it before they put it in. And did the dealer say High Pressure Oil Pump (HPOP)?
Old 11-27-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABoyAndHisToys View Post
At least you get a new motor in the truck under warranty? Have them stud it before they put it in. And did the dealer say High Pressure Oil Pump (HPOP)?
Yes HPOP. I would have them stud it but I have 100k miles of warranty so I think I would rather just have them replace the stock studs rather then spending approx $500 on ARP studs
Old 11-27-2009, 09:56 AM

Yeah but then your truck will be in the shop over n over getting new bolts. You cant fix something by reusing the problem lol and theyre only 385. Its cheap insurance
Old 11-27-2009, 10:10 AM

stud it if you can.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:15 AM

Well Ill look into it, I would have to make sure it wouldn't void the warranty. Also how often do the studs really go bad... every 25-30K??? That would be a little less than once per year for me. Maybe after they replace them a few times they might consider putting them in so they dont have to do it again???
Old 11-27-2009, 10:22 AM

Na they wont do it voluntarily youd have to buy them and ask to have it done. And how often they fail depends if your towing a lot they could blow more often then not. Jus depends on the truck
Old 11-27-2009, 10:31 AM

Alright ill look into it.

Any info from any techs out there. Does this make sense to you guys. I dont understand how the relay and pump go bad at the same time. And why there is not a check engine light. And why it still cranks with a bad HPOP.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:31 PM

Ok just went to the dealership today to straighten things out... The service manager (you know that guy with the suit and tie that doesnt know how to change oil) tells me its a relay and the HPOP... I decided I was going to go talk to someone who knew something so I wandered into the shop and talked to the tech working on my truck... It is the IPR and HPOP that are bad... makes a little more sense now.

The only thing that I am still at a loss about is the metal shavings in the oil... there is a pretty decent amount of them. Is it common for metal shavings to be evident after an IPR and HPOP failure? Should my warranty be covering a new motor due to the metal shavings (warranty states all internally lubricated parts are covered along with anything that fails due to the failure of an internally lubricated part)? Should I worry if they just replace the IPR and HPOP and flush the oil system? (This is what I think they are planning on doing).
Old 12-01-2009, 12:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Your Not going to throw a CEL on a 2003 its very very very hard for those to come on. I have a 2003 F250 KR PSD and it has never thrown a CEL yet ive still had problem with it..... And for the Metal in the oil its going to be from the gears on the HPOP unit that had stripped out hopefully that helps you out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.