Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Engine suddenly died, unique situation, please provide some guidance

4K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  JWJ 
#1 ·
My truck is 06 F250 275,000 miles. Engine was replaced a year ago with another engine that had 120,000 miles on it. The mechanic that every step to be considered bulletproofed was done and the oil pumps were also replaced. I got my old engine and the extra oil pump back just to make sure. Truck has ran perfect for 20,000 miles. Since the engine swap I installed 2 new napa batteries, new fan due to broke wiring, and 2 glo plugs that went out. 2 days ago I washed the engine and bay, sprayed purple power and lightly rinsed off with regular water hose. I covered the alternator and cold air filter. After rinsing off I immediately cranked up the truck and shut hood to let air pull through and dry everything out. I let the truck run around 8-10 mins and set down in seat to cut off. Truck was running and idling perfect and out of habit I guess I lightly tapped accelerator pedal to rev up a little, the second I touched the accelerator it instantly died like I cut the key off and it has not cranked back up since. The odd thing to me is it did it when I tapped the accelerator. I have browsed the posts here and pretty much checked everything listed for a no start. Oil filter, oil and both fuel filter were replaced 2 weeks ago, I disconnected the batteries and load tested them independently, check the fuel cutoff at passenger side kick panel, took cover off ficm and monitored 48v through key on and crank, can hear fuel injectors click when key on, oil and fuel filter reservoirs fill up with cap removed, spent 3 hours going over wiring harness checking for bad places and broke or shorted wiring. Hooked up a friends scanner and everything showed to be fine except high oil pressure which was like 40-50 and I think it was rated psi? Anyway I disconnected the wiring harness from sensor on passenger valve cover like article said and checked it again. Then is showed putting out 1473 and the desired pressure was 1473. Tried to crank it several times with sensor unhooked and pressure good but still would not even try to start only turn engine over. I've worked on gas vehicles for years but never diesel. This is my first diesel truck and I'm learning as I go but it's a totally different ballpark. I am a electrician and also do some electronics repair. I feel like I've got a wiring issue somewhere and the water either caused a short or open that was set off from the different stages in the accelerator pedal when I pressed it. I really don't want to have to break down all the different components to test the boards and circuits by hand unless I just have to. I was hoping somebody here might have some knowledge on the issue I'm having or something I missed checking or guidance in the right direction. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I am currently at work but I will try to check in throughout the day and also it will be this evening when I get home from work before I will be able to do any testing on my truck. Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
What codes are you getting?

Reactions: djmaguire
#3 ·
The code question is a good first step.

That said, I would tend to agree with you. You sprayed liquid on the engine and it quit not long after. I am assuming that you did not douse the PCM or FICM. As such, a harness short is reasonable thing to suspect.

You are not building pressure. You unplugged the ICP and the pressure went to the default value. That indicates that the ICP wiring is fine. I recommend that you look for a problem in your IPR valve wiring. I had a problem with my IPR valve wiring (in the injector harness). You can read about it here:

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0-motor-problems/1096562-6-0-harness-chafing.html

As for checking, you could force the IPR valve closed with 12VDC at the valve and see if it builds pressure while cranking. Don't hold power to it very long, though. 45sec to a minute at most.

#4 ·
Hey, I am getting no engine codes saying anything is wrong. I bought a scan gauge yesterday after watching the YouTube videos and set it up to show ficm, syc, ipr, ipc and turned over. Ficm and syc looks great, ipr rose to 84% while turning engine over and ipc was in 30s. Moved stuff around to get to the ipr and disconnected the wire. Metal clip was facing down instead of proper place. Out of curiosity I turned the engine over again with ipr wiring disconnected completely and got the exact same readings. By this time it was late and I wanted to check more into the wiring so I stopped for the night. When I get home I will check the ipr wiring around injector harness like djmaguire recommended. That whole part of the harness looks suspicious bc the tape is slimy and loose around loom and missing in places. Not tight and uniformed like you would want to see. Will check into the recommendations and let you all know what find asap. Thanks for help

#5 ·
Update -
After checking and reconnecting wiring it still wouldn't start. I gave up and trailered it to the closest Ford dealer. They said the ficm was bad, the starter was dragging and the batteries were weak. So I ordered the ficm and had it sent directly to them to save $500 which they were ok with. Bought the starter and batteries from Ford through them at a pretty reasonable price. Today is the 15th that they have had my truck and I'm pretty sure that they are scratching their heads. I Don't like people rushing me so I haven't called to bug or rush them. Hope it's ready soon, I'm ready to have my truck back.
Will post the final verdict and damage when it's fixed.

#6 ·
Ok, everything is telling you have lost hpop oil pressure. Since you have a 06, it should not be the pump. there isn't anything wrong with the ICP. I would guess you have had the STC fitting failure.

Ford Super Duty 6.0L STC HPOP Fitting Update O-Ring Repair Kit,High PSI Oil Pump | eBay

It would be best to air test first to find where the leak is.

Side note about washing your engine. Think about what happens when we drive in heavy rain. the amount of wter going though the radiator floods the engine compartment with water. you are fine.

#7 ·
it might seem like driving thru rain would be the same but I have driven through hellacious storms and pulled in under a canopy to get fuel and check under the hood and it is not soaked like I ran a hose on top of the motor

a few times I rinsed my motor in preparation for surgery and the truck ran funky afterward

I now let it dry before I start it

the connectors should be water resistant but with that many miles you know they don't seal like new any longer

#9 ·
Is this even normal? Dealer has had my truck for 3 weeks and still haven't heard back from them other than a week ago they called to ask me if my programmer was set back to stock because they were going to flash the computer. Called them 2 days ago to ask if my truck would be ready soon and if not what else seems to be wrong. After a brief hold all they said is that the mechanic is working on it, no details. I've only called them 1 other time and got the same thing, mechanic was working on it. Think they pulled off my truck to work on something else?? Do I need to go get my truck and take to another dealer? Thanks.

#10 ·
This is a typical for a passive customer and a dealer that likes to turn around the quick and easy work.

We can help you if you decide to trouble shoot it yourself, otherwise you will have to tighten your boot straps and get noisy with the dealer or take it somewhere that wants to fix it.

#11 ·
Well they called a couple hours after I wrote the last post and said it was ready. The actual reason my truck would not crank was the Icp sensor. The O-ring broke and was stuck in the valve holding it open and it couldn't build up pressure. Also they changed the Ficm, starter and batteries. The batteries were weak and wouldn't hold full charge, just enough to crank the truck for 20 or so seconds, ficm was working enough to keep the truck going but it was the original stock ficm and it would drop just a little when glo plugs came on so I'm glad to get everything replaced so I don't have anymore trouble anytime soon and my truck is running better and smoother than it ever has. Oh and the guy I bought the truck from had replaced the starter a year or so ago with a autozone cheapo the the bolts had back out and were loose. It was basically falling apart and warped so avoid the Autozone starters. They said I had a 3 year warranty on the batteries and I forgot to ask about the starter. Overall im happy with everything and the quality of work. Just wish it wouldn't have taken 3 weeks but I can understand stuff comes up time to time. I will definitely still be around on here because I have no plans on getting rid of my truck and this place is a treasure chest of knowledge and advice. Appreciate all the help and info from everyone. Thanks.

#12 ·
Hey new to the forum, got a used 06 f350 to tow a 3 car hauler...any ways the issue started las week towing the loaded trailer as I was driving down the highway doing about 60 the truck shut off. I pulled over to the shoulder and the truck would crank but not start. It cooled down for about 15 mins and started up again but shut off again two more time. Note that all the temp gauges and oil pressure marked normal. Also the truck runs fine when not hauling anything. Took the truck to oriellys and it read ICP open circuit. Can this be the issue?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.