Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Engine died and wont start

3K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Keegan1014 
#1 ·
I have a 2003 6.0
On my way to work yesterday I noticed the truck was idling rough.
I stopped for fuel and shut ht engine off, the truck didnt re start
I sat there for ten min or so and the truck finally started after a short shot of starting fluid.
I drove it to work about a mile, the truck lacked power (turbo still was producing boost)
Four hours later at lunch I went out and she fired right up, I drove it around the parking lot.
After about a min of driving it started to idle rough again, I parked it.
Finished my day at work and the truck started right up again.
On the way home the truck started to gradually loose power, made it a mile from home and it just shut down completly.
I let the truck cool down for two hours and it will not start, toed it home.
I checked a few things, Second fuel filter under the hood (looked pretty decent and no dirt or water in the fuel bowl.
Checked the oil level it was full (I have about 3500 miles on the oil filter change) Rotella T6
Pulled the air filter tried to start it (wouldnt start)
I do have a SCT X4 tuner installed.
WHILE CRANKING
FICM is 48.5 volts (always stays 47.5-48.5)
IPC is .94V
I was watching the oil and coolant temp while driving and it never went over 190F
The only thing Ive done recently to the truck was two days ago I added Archoil to the oil and fuel system (both additives)
I purchased this truck a few months ago with 189,000 on it, the only issue Ive had was after a 15 min drive it wouldnt re start for 15 min then it ran like a top.
The odd thing is this time and the last time the tank was half full, I normally fill it up at 5/8 of a tank (might have nothing to do with it)
I have no history on the truck with the exception of it having head studs.

See less See more
#3 ·
Sounds like you have a no start hot, so you can take a look at those threads.

My guess is the STC fittings. To be sure, you'd need a monitor to see if the ICP is up to 85% with the IPR less than 550. That will only tell you a high pressure oil leak somewhere in the system. From there, it would be a high pressure air test to be sure. It could be other things, like the '03 is known for the HPOP going bad, so there will be some trouble shooting involved. If the IPR and ICP were good, you could look at other things like fuel pressure or a bubble test. None of these are too difficult. Don't think you don't need any special tools for the STC fitting or HPOP, but a many different basic tools.

A good tuner will run you about the same price as driving it to a shop once and hooking it up to a scanner. A good shops scanner would be much better, but knowing what could be wrong before you get there would help.

#7 ·
They don't.

Started pulling things apart
Got to the point I pulled the connection off of the icp
It's oil soaked
I'll replace that and the pigtail and pull the IPR while I'm in there.
Sounds like you are on to something.

I had a stall while driving due to my IPR valve wiring shorting. It sounds like you have found your problem, but you may want to check the harnesses as long as you are digging around. You can read about it here:

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0-motor-problems/1096562-6-0-harness-chafing.html

#9 ·
If you need it that fast, well...

But a great option here for the OEM stuff is Autonation Ford of White Bear Lake ( @fordsvtparts ). Good discounts, they ship fast, and everything has been delivered fast.

...and, yes, you want OEM on an ICP. A temp sensor is easy to make. A 3000+psi pressure sensor, not so much.

Reactions: fordsvtparts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.