Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

stuck injector

1K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  Ahuggins6 
#1 ·
is it possible that the ficm can open an injector but not close it? Maybe with a bad connection somewhere?

#2 ·
No, well sort of. The design is a shuttle valve controlling the oil and plunger. It moves via electric pulses with 2 coils controlling the open and close cycles. If the valve remains in the open position, the injector would not reset and would not transfer fuel to the cylinder after the first shot. So the question i have is what symptoms do you see? If you are getting continuous fuelling from that injector, you have a different problem such as a cracked nozzle or a fuel o-ring failure as well as a copper washer at the nozzle failure or loose injector.

#3 ·
Severe puff of black smoke when it fires up after cranking on it several seconds. Then, it has a fuel knock and feels like a miss, along with a slight amount of smoke at idle. Puffing from intake, and a chugging sound out the tail pipe.

I just resealed all injectors after putting rebuilt heads on with Ford Gaskets and Arp studs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Im waiting on a friend to hook his pc to it Saturday to do a contribution test to identify the bad cylinder(s). I find it strange that it was fine before we started the gasket project, and now an injector cracked open. But I see where the failed o ring could be the problem but shouldn't I find compression bubbles in the fuel filter bowl?

#5 ·
My dad just checked. I have no bubbling in the fuel bowl.

#6 ·
It sounds like a bad or bent intake valve. This has happened to others when not ensuring the rods are fully in place before tightening the heads. Do a search and you will see what I am talking about.

#7 ·
Thanks for the response. We got into it Friday morning and found a bridge not seated correctly on an exhaust valve. It bent the rocker and the pushrod. New rocker and pushrod and checked the rest of the rockers for correct positioning and put it back together. Runs great now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.