Replacing Glow Plug system (what do I all need?) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2009, 09:39 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Replacing Glow Plug system (what do I all need?)

OK I am getting sick of the truck being goofy in the cold. Its a 6.0 crew cab dually with 117k of which 40k are towing.

The problem is that whether I plug it in or not I am lucky to get it started on the second try. The light only comes on for a few seconds even though its been down to 15 degrees here in ND the past couple of nights.

I did the test from the glow plug writeup in the Tech Section (fantastic article by the way) and found out that most of the plugs are shot and the relay is shot.
I ordered the new plugs and ordered a Stancor relay. What I would like to know is while I am paying the 4 hours of shop labor to have it all installed what else should I have put in for the glow plug system. I don't think I need a Glow Plug Module and I doubt I need to new harnesses. What else will help the truck start well when it gets real cold here in ND? -25 last winter a few times without windchill.
thanks,
BASHBRO1

it already has a plug and I am looking at battery warmers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2009, 04:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I asume by it allready has a plug, that you are referring to the 110 volt block heater, that you plug anextension cord into. Just check to be shure it actually works.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:49 PM

Yes it is the block heater. I already made sure that is working and its working fine.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

just to let you know the harnesses can be a royal b*tch to get out. I would just plan on replacing them.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:11 PM
Powerstroke Techie

What kind of vehicle are we referring to? Are you getting any codes pertaining to the glow plug system?
Old 11-24-2009, 07:31 PM

it as a 2003 6.0 dually crew cab. While it is not throwing any codes (none!!) Hooking it up showed that #5 should be. Also I know from the warranty work and the service record that while the # 2,4,6,8,7,3 injectors have been replaced. But none of the glow plugs have been.
This concerns me because the truck hates starting in even moderate cold (15-35 degrees) I had a 99 7.3 that started without being plugged in while the temp was in the negatives.
I figured while they were in doing the injector they might as well do all the glow plugs and the relay to avoid having them open it all up again sooner than needed. Maybe I am wrong but $120 in parts now could save several hundred in labor later.
Bashbro1
Old 11-24-2009, 07:40 PM
Powerstroke Techie

2003 model years have been notorious for fuel injector failures so it doesn't surprise me that yours has had that many replaced. Does it misfire or run rough, when it does eventually start when it's cold? Are you using any fuel cetane boost or anti-gel additives as recommended by Ford? What grade of oil are you using? With that many injector failures, I would suspect fuel pressure issues. Has this been checked?
Old 11-24-2009, 07:51 PM

I could not find anything about fuel pressure issues in either the warranty repairs or the service records. Where would I start on that issue?

When it first starts it is rough and rolls white smoke. It quiets after about 20 seconds and then it goes to a higher idle after a minute and some change. I have been letting it warm up for about 10 minutes. Once I get in I have to drive it at least 5 blocks just to get it above 2k RPMS But once that is taken care of its just lumpy sounding which my Tech attributed to a dying injector.

I have been using #1 diesel since I got it. I also add the recommended amount of Diesel Kleen with each tank. Thats it.
Oh Oil is winter grade diesel oil 10-45w I believe

thanks,
Bashbro1

Last edited by bashbro1; 11-24-2009 at 07:53 PM. Reason: added info
Old 11-24-2009, 08:01 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Before you throw a set of glow plugs at it, I suggest you start with running 10W30 CJ-4 Ford/Motorcraft engine oil in it. Monitor your fuel pressure. It should run steady at 56 psi, and drop to no less than 45 psi under full load. This can be checked at the secondary fuel filter housing beside the fuel pressure regulator, where you'll find a 6mm allen head plug that can be removed to installl a gauge. If fuel pressure drops to less than 45, replace the fuel pressure regulator (3C3Z-9T517-AE, NOT the IPR valve) to start, and then the fuel pump if necessary. First and foremost, fix the dying the injector. Try using Ford's PM-22-A and PM-23-A additives. They are very inexpensive, and they produce a very noticeable change in engine performance when they are used.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:05 PM

where do I buy the gauge to test fuel pressure or can my mechanic test that for me?
Also If I need a fuel pump would you reccommend this fuel pump? Would there be any advantage to an upgraded fuel pump if I am only going to possibly throw in a towing Tune at some point?

Raptor Fuel Pump Kit 03-07 Ford Powerstroke 6.0 Diesel:eBay Motors (item 270489413499 end time Dec-22-09 13:08:33 PST)
thanks,
Bashbro1

Last edited by bashbro1; 11-25-2009 at 07:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.