Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

HPOP destruction??

2K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  Wazincow 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm new to posting, but I've been reading here for advice for a long time. I have 2 problems, not sure how/if they're related.

Problem 1- Intermittent miss, and occasional stall while driving.

Problem 2- I will try and Post pics of what has happened to my last 3 HPOPs...yes, 3 in a year and a half. The latest was destroyed 2 days after install!

Before I throw another pump in this thing, I want to find out what possible causes would be. I do not have a programmer or chip, I have already done egr delete, blue spring, stc (obviously lol), and it has 4" straight pipe. I have used a Snap On Modis to run contribution tests and injector shutdown tests, as well as everything else this little machine will do, with no tangible results.

Since I can't figure out how to post pics, I will try to describe the pump failure of my last 3 HPOP...which is the exact same.

The rear bushing is pushed out on one side, instead of being flat across...

Anyone that has any insight would be greatly appreciated!

See less See more
#3 ·
Wow...3 in two years! That's gotta be some kind of record. Were these all OEM HPOP's?

The '05 and up pumps are pretty dang stout. They don't fail often. Interested to see the picture of the failure.

-jokester

#12 ·
So, what would be possible causes of the Intermittent miss and stall? It feels like it misses all the time actually, and at 1200 RPM I can really feel it, but it feels like it shuts down and starts back up while in motion, then sometimes it will just stall out completely with usually a no start

#18 ·
Reactions: Heavy_GD and ZMANN
#22 ·
I don't think he can post true links or pics until 30 posts. I've been wrong before though.
He could post a link as text or PM it to @nighthawk285.

#23 ·
I was working on one a little while ago, it turned out that the the internals of the IPr were messed up, it would build up to max high pressure and not release it, the customer put in a hpop and towed it to my shop, same thing it blew the port off the side, he had replaced the IPr with a reman when he first did the pump, it was either a defective regulator, or the too high a pressure is what broke it. Either way I fixed his problem with a new pump and regulator.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#26 ·
If it took a while for it to pop you may want to put the modis on record and drive it under different loads, under a good load like going uphill, towing, etc works the system a little more you'll prob see the pressure go up more on the road.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.