Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Intermittent p0266 code

13K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Nefta 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I need some help. I'm getting an intermittent p0266 code, cylinder #2 contribution. It doesn't happen every day it mostly happens in the mornings when coming to a stop getting off the interstate. It happens just as I'm getting ready to stop, once i take off again it goes away and it usually doesn't do it again for a day or two. I looked at the harness to see if there isn't any chaffing but cant see anything wrong. Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks

#2 ·
Update, it did it yesterday but not today. The only difference is that yesterday I had about 1/2 tank of fuel and today a full tank. :crazy:

#5 ·
This ^^^. Your window between a simple injector replacement and cylinder damage can be short if the injector starts dumping. I had smoke once 150mi from home - smell and color inconclusive. Choice was head to a dealer or drive it home and do it myself. Chose the dealer. Dumping fuel but there was no cylinder damage. No regrets.

#6 ·
It doesn't have any smoke, but I guess just to be on the safe side I'll get it replaced. Thanks

#7 ·
Somehow, I read smoke in there. Lol. Sorry 'bout that. Please disregard any undo concern.

If it's not the FICM connector, you can't find chafing, and the connector at the injector seems fine, getting a contribution/balance test would be the safe option. You can let that determine replacement.

#8 ·
What really confuses me is the fact that 99% of the time that it happens its only in the mornings. I have an injector from Ford now, its just a matter of tearing into it and see what I find. Yesterday I moved the harness around a little and checked the Ficm connectors and this morning it didn't do it. No code no hesitation. Nothing.:confused:

#9 ·
Got it, yes. You're not in a particularly cold area, but - depending upon your drive - the engine temp might be lower when it occurs.

I had a temperature-dependent short of my IPR signal wire. It would stumble or stall at almost exactly 120F. ...and, if I could get through the stall, it ran fine until it cooled down again.

It was fairly deep in the harness. You can read about it here:

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0-motor-problems/1096562-6-0-harness-chafing.html

Your problem reminds of me of that. ...now that I'm reading with better comprehension. Lol.

#10 ·
I've read that thread multiples times now. Lol. The engine is completely up to temperature when it happens. When I take off again and clear the code it clears up, usually doesn't do it until the next day. I can feel it miss just as I'm coming to a complete stop and as I take off. It doesn't do it while driving at any speed or RPM.

#11 ·
An injector code triggered by a stop... Hmmm.

You need a real smarty like @kaya or @LoxDiesel to drop by. :)

#12 ·
I talked to Sean about it a few weeks ago and I called him this morning but I know he has been extra busy lately.

Reactions: djmaguire
#13 ·
Alright, I had the injector ready to be installed and talking to @LoxDiesel he suggested to look closely at the wiring for injector #2. Sure enough the problem was there. One of the wires had the insulation broken on it. It hasn't acted up since my last post. Thanks guys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.