2004 F-350 6.0 Codes PO273 & PO611 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2009, 06:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2004 F-350 6.0 Codes PO273 & PO611

These codes popped up on my mechanics computer. Also PO 269 but that one went away. Can any one tell me what these mean and if I need to worry about them? Truck seems to run fine when warmed up but if not plugged in the mornin and about 30 degrees it wants to run rough until it warms up. Could some bad glow plugs cause these codes? Check Engine light does not come on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2009, 07:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

P0273 INJ Cylinder #5 injector circuit low Open circuit, fuel injector, FICM connector loose, FICM

P0611 FICM Fuel injector control module performance Internal FICM failure

sounds like the ficm is on the way out
Old 11-22-2009, 07:49 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Needs a FICM

4C3Z-12B599-BARM

Get it changed before it strands you. You will need it done at the dealer, or somewhere that has an IDS scan tool so they can program it for you.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:25 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Angry Hillbilly View Post
Needs a FICM

4C3Z-12B599-ABRM

Get it changed before it strands you. You will need it done at the dealer, or somewhere that has an IDS scan tool so they can program it for you.
Took the words right out of my mouth. Just had one in last week that the owner INSISTED I replace all eight glow plugs due to the exact same symptom described above. Apparently, he read off some "forum" that he needed a new GPCM and all eight plugs, with the thinking that this is considered a "diesel tune-up". Some people just don't have a clue.

Back to the topic at hand, add me as the third poster to this thread advising you to replace your FICM.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:52 PM
Powerstroke Techie

I had a customer call the other day wondering what the service interval was on glow plugs.

He wasn't impressed with "when they fail"
Old 11-22-2009, 07:40 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Angry Hillbilly View Post
I had a customer call the other day wondering what the service interval was on glow plugs.

He wasn't impressed with "when they fail"
Isn't it funny how we are thought of as "stealerships" by so many people, for submitting quotes for repairs that are perceived to be costly, yet when we tell the customer that they DON'T need a particular repair, they don't appear to be happy with THAT answer either. Can't win either way.
Old 11-26-2009, 06:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I checked around and found before changing the FICM ( wich is big bucks!) to bring to dealer ship to have this following done:There is a recalibrate for the pcm and ficm.Here is the information from Ford.Also the codes for the p0269 and p0273 are for cylinders 3 and 5.

FORD: 2003-2005 Excursion
2003-2007 F-Super Duty
2004-2010 E-Series

This article supersedes TSB 9-7-11 to update the model years covered and Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) calibration level.

ISSUE:
Some 2003-2007 F-Super Duty vehicles, 2003-2005 Excursions and 2004-2010 E-Series vehicles, equipped with a 6.0L diesel engine may exhibit hard start, no start, white smoke, lack of power, running rough condition after cold engine start up, or diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0404, P0470, P0611, P1260 and/or P1378 issues. Refer to the Calibration Content for information detailing specific vehicle content by vehicle application and model year that is being addressed by this calibration update.

This article includes previously released calibration content that improves injector performance in cold engine operation and additional diagnostic capabilities and product protection strategy enhancements. These enhancements provide additional diagnostic capabilities, adds additional new DTCs and engine protection strategies. Refer to the Calibration Content for additional details. See the appropriate Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnostic (PC/ED) manual for technical descriptions and diagnostic routines associated with new DTCs.

ACTION:
Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) using IDS release 63.13 and higher or 64.01 and higher. The transmission control module (TCM) and fuel injector control module (FICM) , will automatically update if they are not at the latest calibration level. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2009.11 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at MOTORCRAFT® PARTS FOR FORD, LINCOLN OR MERCURY VEHICLES.

CALIBRATION CONTENT
Reprogram the PCM to the latest calibration following Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 418-01.

The PCM and FICM calibration update contains improvement actions to address the following symptoms:

2005 F-Super Duty 6.0L:
False DTC P0470 - Exhaust pressure sensor A circuit fault due to a freezing condition.
False DTC P0404 - Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) performance due to a stuck turbocharger condition.
Cooling loss protection - Revised engine protection strategy when an engine over-temperature condition is present. Vehicles updated with this service calibration will display higher temperature gauge readings when high engine oil temperature (EOT) conditions or high engine coolant temperature (ECT) are encountered and may disable EGR operation to prevent possible EGR cooler damage.
Oil cooler efficiency monitor - DTC P012F stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when the oil coolers efficiency drops below a specified threshold for a given speed and vehicle load condition.
Turbocharger vane sweep strategy - Performs a sweep of the turbocharger vanes and unison ring during stationary idle conditions. Vane sweep can occur once per hour to help reduce turbocharger sticking.
FICM low voltage detection monitor - DTC P0560 stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when PCM vehicle power (VPWR) parameter identifier (PIDS) is below 10.25V for 60 seconds or below 9V for 4 seconds.
Turbocharger over boost detection - DTC P0234 stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when a turbocharger over boost condition occurs.
2006-2007 F-Super Duty 6.0L:
False DTC P0404 - EGR performance due to a stuck turbocharger condition.
Cooling loss protection - Revised engine protection strategy when an engine over-temperature condition is present. Vehicles updated with this service calibration will display higher temperature gauge readings when high EOT conditions or high ECT are encountered and may disable EGR operation to prevent possible EGR cooler damage.
Oil cooler efficiency monitor - DTC P012F stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when the oil coolers efficiency drops below a specified threshold for a given speed and vehicle load condition.
FICM low voltage detection monitor - DTC P0560 stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when PCM VPWR PIDS is below 10.25V for 60 seconds or below 9V for 4 seconds.
Turbocharger over boost detection - DTC P0234 stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when a turbocharger over boost condition occurs.
2005-2007 And 2009-2010 E-Series 6.0L:
False DTC P0470 Exhaust pressure sensor A circuit fault due to a freezing condition.
False DTC P0404 EGR Performance due to a stuck turbocharger condition.
Cooling loss protection - Revised engine protection strategy when an engine over-temperature condition is present. Vehicles updated with this service calibration will display higher temperature gauge readings when high EOT conditions or high ECT are encountered and may disable EGR operation to prevent possible EGR cooler damage.
FICM low voltage detection monitor - DTC P0560 stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when PCM VPWR PIDS is below 10.25V for 60 seconds or below 9V for 4 seconds.
Turbocharger vane sweep strategy - Performs a sweep of the turbocharger vanes and unison ring during stationary idle conditions. Vane sweep can occur once per hour to help reduce turbocharger sticking
2008 E-Series 6.0L:
False DTC P0470 - Exhaust pressure sensor A circuit fault due to a freezing condition.
False DTC P0404 - EGR performance due to a stuck turbocharger condition.
False P1260 induced during cranking due to low battery voltage.
Generic on-board diagnostics (OBD) improvements including; Mode 1, Mode 2, Mode 4 and J1699 OBD data test results as reported to the service tool.
Turbocharger vane sweep strategy - Performs a sweep of the turbocharger vanes and unison ring during stationary idle conditions. Vane sweep can occur once per hour to help reduce turbocharger sticking
Previous released calibration content included in IDS software release 48.2 or higher for: 2003-2007 F-Super Duty, 2003-2005 Excursion and 2004-2008 E-Series 6.0L diesel equipped vehicles:

White smoke, lack of power, running rough condition after cold engine start up due to injector spool valve sticking internally during cold engine operation.
No start/hard start when accompanied with DTC P0611 (FICM Performance), P1378 (FICM System Voltage Low) and/or all eight (8) injector circuit codes.
The new calibration changes the frequency of injector spool valve shuttling under certain conditions and will sound differently from previously released versions.

Kind of suprised the Ford Diesel Techs don't bring this up as a first approach.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Don't have code#po611 but have all the codes for all eight injectors reading low. Can you help?
Old 11-05-2010, 07:35 AM

Fix your FICM

I was having similar problems and codes. I found severl posts related to the FICM voltage being an issue. I also found this great pdf on repairing your own FICM. I'm a good handy guy, but never worked on a board before. This sounds a bit intimadating, but it was actaully a very straight forward proceedure. My FICM was running 35volts. Now it runs 46. Did this 9 months ago and all seems good!

There are also some providers that give you a Hot FICM that produces about 55 volts I believe. Just another option.

I combined this with cleaning the EGR...also a very easy proceedure. Although you do kinda need a puller or slide hammer to get the EGR out. After you remove the two screws, its just held in by o-ring pressure, but still need some verticle pressure to get it out.

I can't upload the PDF as it's too large for the site allowance, but I can email it or you can search this site for "Fix your FICM" and find it. Same for the EGR cleaning.

These two cost effetive repairs have my 6.0 running spot on...no codes!

Hope this helps!
Old 11-05-2010, 08:14 AM
Retired Soldier!

I have worked with the Tech at my dealership and he is a stand up guy. He hasn't done anything not needed and is upfront about my problems with my truck. He worked with me to leave my EGR mods in and did a great job on gaskets and studs. I am a retired Army diesel/ turbine mechanic and I know when a job has been done well. I feel for you guys, you have a thankless job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.