Puking After Coolant Bypass - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2009, 05:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Puking After Coolant Bypass

So I installed a coolant bypass kit a couple weeks ago, and now I'm puking coolant out of the tank. Not real bad, but enough to get some stuff wet and leave residue all over. I know having the tank overfilled can cause puking, but after the bypass kit I never added any. It seems to be putting coolant back into the tank faster than the truck takes it out, so the level is always a little higher than what it used to be. Prior to the bypass kit I had to puking at all no matter how hard I pushed it and I imagine if I closed the valves it'll stop puking. Anyone else experienced this or have any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2009, 06:56 AM
Powerstroke Techie

I don't wanna sound like an idjit, but whats a coolant bypass, were does it go? I can help you a little better if i know this.

Make sure you haven't put too much water in the overflow, it needs to be at the MIN line.

Truck doesnt overheat or anything, eh?

Check the rad cap, too. Maybe it went for a **** - coincidence is a ***** sometimes.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Coolant Bypass Filter kit, it T's into the heater core line, out to a filter then T's back into the small line going from the top of the radiator to the front of the overflow tank. Definitely isn't overfull, I expected it to be low after the little i lost during the install and the amount it takes to fill the filter up, but it stays high with the return coming from the filter all the time. Coolant stays around 189 cruising, so no overheating problems. I was gonna pick up a cap while I was at a dealer in Jerzey yesterday, just to eliminate that as a problem. But their customer service skills there suck, so I left without it!
Old 11-22-2009, 07:26 AM
Powerstroke Techie

That's unusual that that would cause this to happen. Do you have some more info on the setup so I can research it a little more and determine if this is contributing to your concern?

I would almost have to think this is contributing to it - since it's only started doing it after you put it on.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Here's the kit I used:

http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=324
Old 11-23-2009, 06:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Abrannan19
Mike, when you installed the coolant filter, did you loose a bit of coolant, causing you to refill the degas bottle? If so, does your degas bottle have the new MIN/MAX level stick on there? Either way, my very first thought would be a overfilled resivior. Our trucks seem to puke to the desired level and then they will be fine, if it pukes, do not add any more coolant, just clean off the residue and keep a eye on the level, my guess is it will stop after the level goes down.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mike?

I'll assume you're asking me...

I did lose coolant and expect to be low, but I was not low after a short drive so I never added anything. I keep watching for the level to be low but it keeps puking and is still at the same level once it warms up. That is why I figured it's returning to the tank faster than its being used. I thought about closing the ball valves part way to see I it helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.