Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Yay, another no start thread. 2006 6.0

4K views 39 replies 9 participants last post by  StickyRooster 
#1 ·
Hey everyone
I was driving my 2006 f350 to work today, about 2 miles down the road, it just died. It did not sputter, knock, kick or anything, just shut off. It would not restart.

With that being said, my oil had a little over 7k on it, and my fuel filters have 15 to 16k on it, both bad I know. I was actually going to do an oil change and filter changed today.

More back story, new OEM oil cooler around 15k miles ago, I watch my ect and eot closely and they have been good, within 5 degreed of each other. I have a scangauge and a sct livewire to monitor with.
The past few days, the truck has been slow to start, almost like the batteries are dead. Someone on here suggested the starter may be bad, but I haven't replaced it yet, I wanted to do the oil and fuel filters first. It does have the updated STC fitting on the hpop.

I haven't checked for codes yet, but I will tonight or in the morning.

Any thoughts?

#3 ·
im having a no crank issue currently. my truck waited for me to get to work at least though, walked out at the end of the night and "click" no start. Im going in early this afternoon to try and swap the starter and see if that works. my solenoid was getting over 12 volts the entire time i turned the key to crank so im hoping that means starter. do you hear anything different than usual when you turn the key? weird clicks coming from the starter/solenoid?

#7 ·
so I swapped my starter with a reman and its starting great now. does your truck sound any different when you crank it? slow crank or normal? If i was experiencing your symptoms the very first thing i would do is check every single fuse related to fuel and ignition. I cant say what i would do next as i would have to hear your truck crank. post a vid somewhere and link it and ill give my 2 cents.

#9 ·
the only time i had the issue your experiencing was when my fuel pump went out. truck just died when it was sitting in a friends driveway and wanted to start but never got going. killed my battery trying to get that thing going. id bet money on it. if your lucky ford kept the 6.0 fuel pump out of the tank but chances are that youll have to drop the tank if its the fuel pump

#10 ·
So it's cranking but will not start.. You need to post up number for ICP, IPR, ICP volts, and ficm sync. It's needs a minimum of 500 psi ICP to start. If you're not seeing 500 psi and your IPR duty cycle is hitting 85% while cranking then you have a high pressure oil system issue. Numerous things it could be but get some data and we can go from there. And the fuel pump is NOT in the tank. The HFCM (horizontal fuel control module) is on the frame rail. That's where your frame rail filter is

#11 ·
cthurston09 is right on! Need some data first. Youll want to check youre FICM main power voltage also. Should be no lower than 48 volts when the glow plugs are on.

#13 ·
Okay, so I didn't get all of the numbers, but I will get the rest tomorrow. I changed the oil, oil filters and fuel filters hoping that would help. They were all pretty bad, but didn't help my situation.

Here's a video of the start. You can ignore the first few seconds, my scangauge turned off so I had to turn it bad on. Some of the numbers you all wanted are there. I have to figure out how the other ones are labeled though.

#14 ·
What is the bottom right? Icp? Put your batteries on a charger too. All this cranking is gonna kill them. Show us icp and ipr % while cranking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 · (Edited)
Looks like ICP is lower right and IPR is upper left...

-jokester

#18 ·
Ok I think to start you need to get the correct PID's up and labeled correctly. Go to scangauge' website and pull up the user manual if you don't have a hard copy. Look at the X-Gauges and program them in. You need IPR, ICP, ICPv (it will show ICV on scangauge), and ficm sync. Ficm volts are good so that rules out the power side. Based on that video, your IPR is being commanded FULLY closed so it may not be a high pressure oil leak. Idk if the lower right number is ICP or not but its not reading correctly if it is. There's pretty much zero change in it while cranking which if that is truly what is happening, I'm pretty sure you would see IPR hitting 85%. Start from the beginning and get the correct PID's up and we'll go from there. Also, check to make sure the oil pressure gauge on the dash rises after a few seconds of cranking. That's a good indication of low pressure oil. Instead of listing out all the steps and possibilities, we'll wait until you get some more data

#20 ·
Thanks, I will get those up tonight. I just wasn't sure how they were labeled, but that helps, thanks.

Also, I will try starting without icp plugged in, and will check for wire chaffing.

Also, I have been keeping the batteries charged, I know they got low in the video, but I have been keeping them charged.

One last thing, the primary fuel filter I removed did not look like the one I installed. This one had a white "cover" around the filter. It was a Motorcraft filter...well the box was atleast. I may have gotten duped on the filter.

#19 ·
That does look a little strange. I think I would also try checking the wiring like mentioned. You can try wiggling the wiring harness around especially on the drivers side where it goes over the valve cover to the fender. They are known to chaff through there. If its short it may start if you move it a little.

Reactions: Tideman1
#29 ·
No it looks correct. Alright so IPR is going to 85% which means the PCM is telling it to close completely in order to build the minimum 500psi to start. You're not building any ICP at all. If the oil pressure gauge on the dash never rises, you have a low pressure problem. You're not going to build any high pressure without low pressure. First you need to pull the oil filter out, and push down on the plunger while somebody cranks the engine for you and see if the oil filter housing fills up. It should fill pretty quick. If you don't have an extra hand you can use the start wire which runs down the passenger side above the fender well and touch it to the positive post on the battery. If you watch any Diesel Tech Ron videos you'll see what I mean.

Reactions: jokester00
#32 ·
Try cranking for 15-20 seconds and see if the dash gauge ever comes up. It takes a little bit to come up it won't happen when you first start cranking. It should since the oil filter housing is filling up. Did it fill pretty quick? @kaya might be able to help out as well

#33 ·
If you can swap with a known good ipr, That would eliminate that as a possibility but i think you have a hpo leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#34 ·
I'm pretty sure it's gonna be more than just a HPO leak yielding zero change in ICP on a cold motor. If it's a leak it's massive

Reactions: Ironcleveland
#35 ·
if the oil filter housing fills while cranking, pull the IPR valve. It sounds like something got shot into it. If you pull it and the screen has a hole punched in it, that's what happened

#36 ·
I went back and read the original post and that's what I was leaning towards since the oil cooler was done only 15k ago. But I figured I should ask a pro

Reactions: kaya
#37 ·
Thanks guys, I will pull the ipr soon. It may not be today because we're getting rain and snow and it will be cold when I get home from work, but I'll keep you updated.

It's crazy to me that a hole in the screen can make the truck not start. I know own it's common and happens, but it's crazy to me.

#40 ·
Okay, so now an update. I had the truck towed to a shop. I just don't have the time to mess with it right now and this guy has worked on my truck before. He said the oil pressure regulator was stuck open. When he got down to it, it shut and fired right up.

My question is where is this part? He said to change it, the front end will need to come off. Is it a fluke that it stuck open, or is that common?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.