LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 02-17-2017, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbos seals or piston rings?

Good day

So i have developed an issue with my truck where it has started to blow blue smoke. Usually only when the engine is cold and usually when the trans is shifting gears almost like it defuels then blows smoke. Performance doesnt seem to be affected at all. So i figure its either the turbo seals or piston rings. I came to the forum to see if anyone knows anywhere else other then those 2 areas that may cause this same issue. Im looking at the turbo cause i figure if it was the poston rings it would be more consistent. If anyone can chome in with any ideas im willing to hear them just wanting to double check before i pull the turbo and i couldnt find anything on here with quite the same symptoms. Truck in sig thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 02-21-2017, 04:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you run a fuel additive? Have you looked at the turbine side of the turbo to see if there is any oil?

I had a similar problem when first purchased with 217k on it. I added Diesel Kleen additive and it went away within a tank. But i also verified my turbo was good afterwards. I stopped adding it thinking it might have just been a fluke but within a tank the smoke was back. So now i always add it at every fill up. It's good for the injectors anyway because of the added lubrication and the truck runs better.
post #3 of 22 Old 02-21-2017, 05:45 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soliphant View Post
Good day

So i have developed an issue with my truck where it has started to blow blue smoke. Usually only when the engine is cold and usually when the trans is shifting gears almost like it defuels then blows smoke. Performance doesnt seem to be affected at all. So i figure its either the turbo seals or piston rings. I came to the forum to see if anyone knows anywhere else other then those 2 areas that may cause this same issue. Im looking at the turbo cause i figure if it was the poston rings it would be more consistent. If anyone can chome in with any ideas im willing to hear them just wanting to double check before i pull the turbo and i couldnt find anything on here with quite the same symptoms. Truck in sig thanks in advance.
Sounds more like injectors or ficm maybe.
Usually won't get blue smoke until the exhaust is hot if the turbo were leaking.

the richest ones are not those who have the most, but those who need the least

**i don't use capitals. deal with it**

post #4 of 22 Old 02-23-2017, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Yes i run diesel kleen in evey tank. And thanks kaya i guess i will have to switch my monitors and watch the ficm voltage. Does anyone know if its possible for these engines to wet stack? Or would that only happen with a bad turbo seal? Im wondering if the seal leaks slightly when cold and oil pools in the turbo until it heats up and reseals i havent had a chance to look at it yet.
post #5 of 22 Old 02-23-2017, 08:13 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
What does the smoke smell like? Fuel? Or burnt oil?

the richest ones are not those who have the most, but those who need the least

**i don't use capitals. deal with it**
post #6 of 22 Old 02-24-2017, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Thats half the problem im not sure because i cant recreate the issue. Doesnt smoke at idle only while driving wont do it in first gear usually starts when the truck shifts between 1st and second smokes while in 2nd gear then goes away and periodically smokes between shifts after that until the engine warms up. What i know so far is that it is only smoking when my ect eots are between 140 and 160 degrees after that theres no smoke. I was assuming its oil because of the blue in it but no being able to recreate it to smell it without driving makes diagnosis a little harder and i really dont want to start tearing the motor apart when im not sure where to look. Its not a huge amount of smoke either but i would like to catch it and fix it before it comes to that there is also no loss in performance either so im kinda stumped
post #7 of 22 Old 02-27-2017, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Update

Had the chance to pull some stuff apart today cac tube at the turbo had no oil in it neither did the down pipe off the turbo. Pulled the intake at the throttle body had a bit of oil as well as in the intake when i pulled the egr valve. Ficm is at the lowest i saw 47 volts. Does any one know if a sure fire way to check and make sure its the injector o rings before i start tearing more stuff apart? Thanks in advance
post #8 of 22 Old 02-27-2017, 12:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So it only does it when cold?

Typically blue smoke is fuel related.

Fuel filters changed recently?

If youre rings were bad you would have low compression, hard start, lack of power, and excessive oil consumption. Also you would have excessive blowby out of the oil fill cap when you remove it when running.

97 F250 5 Speed 4X4 Ext cab, TS 6 position Cold Air intake. Cat and muffler removed and 4" out in the side.

05 Excursion 6.0L Cold air intake, Egr delete, Blue Spring, Daily driver tune from DPT. Cat removed.

85 F250 6.9 4 speed 4x4 strait 4" exhaust out the side.

2000 Excursion 5.9L Cummins 6 speed ZF 4" straight exhaust.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 22 Old 02-27-2017, 01:22 PM
Mitch

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Are you tuned OP?

Edit: I see you referenced your signature for the truck stats, but I don't see one.

Mitch

2006 Ford F-350 6.0 Crew Cab Lariat Short Box./4" exhaust/SCT X4 7015 (White Noise)/Autometer Boost and Fuel Pressure(Strictly Adapter)/Edge Insight CTS2/FICM Repair.com Complete Wire Kit/08+ Rear Differential Cover/B&W Goosneck hitch/Sinister Coolant Filter/High Idle/Blue Spring/Purchased 2/28/2014

2002 Ford F-350 7.3 Crew Cab Lariat Short Box, SOLD 2/24/2014

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 22 Old 02-27-2017, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

It doesnt do it when cold or hot more like inbetween and usually only when it is shifting between gears. I do have a tuner its an edge juice with attitude but just pulled it out to run torque pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode