LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 02-17-2017, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbos seals or piston rings?

Good day

So i have developed an issue with my truck where it has started to blow blue smoke. Usually only when the engine is cold and usually when the trans is shifting gears almost like it defuels then blows smoke. Performance doesnt seem to be affected at all. So i figure its either the turbo seals or piston rings. I came to the forum to see if anyone knows anywhere else other then those 2 areas that may cause this same issue. Im looking at the turbo cause i figure if it was the poston rings it would be more consistent. If anyone can chome in with any ideas im willing to hear them just wanting to double check before i pull the turbo and i couldnt find anything on here with quite the same symptoms. Truck in sig thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-21-2017, 05:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you run a fuel additive? Have you looked at the turbine side of the turbo to see if there is any oil?

I had a similar problem when first purchased with 217k on it. I added Diesel Kleen additive and it went away within a tank. But i also verified my turbo was good afterwards. I stopped adding it thinking it might have just been a fluke but within a tank the smoke was back. So now i always add it at every fill up. It's good for the injectors anyway because of the added lubrication and the truck runs better.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-21-2017, 06:45 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soliphant View Post
Good day

So i have developed an issue with my truck where it has started to blow blue smoke. Usually only when the engine is cold and usually when the trans is shifting gears almost like it defuels then blows smoke. Performance doesnt seem to be affected at all. So i figure its either the turbo seals or piston rings. I came to the forum to see if anyone knows anywhere else other then those 2 areas that may cause this same issue. Im looking at the turbo cause i figure if it was the poston rings it would be more consistent. If anyone can chome in with any ideas im willing to hear them just wanting to double check before i pull the turbo and i couldnt find anything on here with quite the same symptoms. Truck in sig thanks in advance.
Sounds more like injectors or ficm maybe.
Usually won't get blue smoke until the exhaust is hot if the turbo were leaking.

the richest ones are not those who have the most, but those who need the least

post #4 of 5 Old Today, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yes i run diesel kleen in evey tank. And thanks kaya i guess i will have to switch my monitors and watch the ficm voltage. Does anyone know if its possible for these engines to wet stack? Or would that only happen with a bad turbo seal? Im wondering if the seal leaks slightly when cold and oil pools in the turbo until it heats up and reseals i havent had a chance to look at it yet.
post #5 of 5 Old Today, 09:13 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
What does the smoke smell like? Fuel? Or burnt oil?

the richest ones are not those who have the most, but those who need the least
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode