Random Long Crank and weird voltage. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 02-17-2017, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Random Long Crank and weird voltage.

Hey guys this is my first post but have been reading over the wealth of knowledge on this site for a while.

I have a 2007 F-250 with 193,000 miles. After my last oil change I have had a cold miss until it warms up (I'm guessing a sticking injector or two) but today I went to take my son to school this morning and it just cranked and cranked. I cranked it for about 5-10 seconds three times and it finally fired. My scangauge said I had over 500psi of ICP and I had low side oil pressure. FICM Voltage is 47.5-48 during cranking and when running. No check engine light except my EGR code which has been on for a few weeks. Any idea guys??

Second weird thing I've noticed is my voltage on my scan gauge. After the truck first starts it drops down to around 10.5 volts after the truck starts and slowly builds up to 13.8 to 14 volts over about a 5 minute period. Think the alternator is shot??? This is my first diesel so I'm learning. Thanks for the help in advance!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Miceleb; 02-17-2017 at 07:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-17-2017, 08:21 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to backhoebill
I would do a battery test and check/clean of all the cables/connections. I heard something about the alternator doesn't show charge voltage for a minute after starting. Voltage sounds very low though. I would start with batteries.

HTML Code:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'06 F250 4x4, 251,xxx hard miles, IPR egr delete and coolant filter, blue spring, billet wheel, 4" turbo back, Atlas 40, SCT Livewire, Archoil, Mobil 1 Synthetic, Cat elc, Warn bumper and 16.5 winch in front & aftermarket mystery bumper in rear, dent in floorboard under throttle
post #3 of 5 Old 02-17-2017, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ironically I did that last weekend. The battery terminals were starting to get a little corroded. The batteries are only a few months old and they are holding a good charge. They crank the engine really well too. The batteries are AAA batteries maybe ill run them down and have them checked. I checked the voltage at the back of the alternator and it seems to be pretty close to the same as the scangauge once it is up to 13.5 to 14 volts. I will have my wife fire it up and I will check the voltage at the alternator to see if it is low on initial start up.

post #4 of 5 Old 02-28-2017, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Random Long Crank and weird voltage.

Well after more research I learned it's normal to get a voltage drop when glow plugs are activated. Alternator and batteries passed the tests. Thanks for the help guys!

post #5 of 5 Old 03-01-2017, 04:12 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,366 Times in 1,295 Posts
Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Quoted: 1655 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Yep that is normal, but a long crank could still be an ICP issue... Plus a passing a battery "tests" does not mean you have enough CCAs...

GD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
...because Patriot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode