truck won't turn over, battery or starter problem? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2009, 06:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
truck won't turn over, battery or starter problem?

Ok, we just had a nor'easter roll through here a few days ago that caused a ton of problems for me. one problem has to do with my 2001 f250 with the 6.0l diesel. i had the truck parked in the driveway of my factory that backs up to the chesapeake bay. well high tide got really high and flooded there, the salt water got up to just above the door line and saturated my carpet some but did not reach my seats. well the day after i started the truck and it ran fine for the next day and a half. then after that it wouldn't start, as if the batteries were dead. so i put a charger on it and let them charge for a day, still won't start. so i think the batteries may have gone bad, so i go to jump start it so i can drive to the autoparts store to buy new batteries, so then i put a jump box on one battery, and then turn the charger to 12v 200amp jump start option on the other battery and still, when i go to turn it over, its like there is no power there, it turns the engine over once or twice and dies out. so my question is, could my batteries be fine and my starter gone bad from the salt water? it feels and sounds like the batteries have gone bad but when i hooked power up to them it still does the same thing so it leaves me to believe the starter is done, any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2009, 09:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If water got above the starter this would have caused a dead short to the batteries, like hookiing a wire straight from pos to neg. completely draining the batteries. A jump will jjust be absorbed into the batteries basicaly. You might try disconnecting the batteries from each other and do a slow charge on each one at a time. 24hrs should do it if they aren't completely toasted.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:28 AM

I dint know you could get the 6.0 in an '01? Didnt come out til 03 right?
Old 11-18-2009, 01:14 PM

by golly didn't even notice that.typo I hope.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:24 AM

Eather a typo or a whole lot of wrenchin.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.