Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Need advice... have diesel in coolant

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  parana6 
#1 ·
I found diesel in my coolant while getting ready to change my stuck thermostat. The degas bottle smelled like turpentine, and there was a type of sludge in there. I had a reputable diesel shop flush a couple times with detergent and refill as a hail Mary (truck has a history of a cracked head that was supposedly replaced) . They also put a UV dye in my fuel and he said it should make the coolant glow under black light if there is a leak. I drove the truck about 100 miles since this was done. Checked the coolant again, and it looks clear but smells like turpentine. I put some in a cup and looked under black Light. It glowed a little, but I don't have a reference sample for comparison.
I'm going to have themy check it again and tell me what they think, but I need some forum 2nd opinions before I decide what to do.
Will diesel in coolant always be visible as a film or sludge?
I have read it's nearly impossible to flush it all from the rubber hoses.
Should I try more flushes?
The shop guy said he can try to find the leak by pressurizing the coolant system with air, but the head would have to be pulled anyway to remove and repair, which will require him to pull the cab.
What options do I have, and what would you do if it was your truck?
I guess worst case scenario is pulling both heads, having them both pressure checked and fluxed, repaired/replaced and re-install?

See less See more
#2 ·
Reactions: jokester00
#4 ·
Yes, but pennies compared to the sticker shock of new heads and gaskets job...

-jokester

#5 ·
just went through that, sorry. i got new heads, i thought they were cracked, turns out the guys that did the gaskets a few years ago put on heads that were machined too much and the warped. but warped or cracked, i still paid a lot to fix it...again. but runs great now, amazing what money can do

#6 ·
I called the shop guy back and told him what was going on. He said keep driving it and check the coolant often for visual contamination because the smell will probably never go away unless it's flushed some more and all the rubber cooling system hoses are replaced.
I have seen the BDP repair tool, and the Accurate Diesel repair sleeves. Neither one is something I have time to try, not to mention I don't know if I have the skill level.

#8 ·
Notice I didn't say to just buy it. I said to call those guys and ask them about it. They don't use pushy sales tactics to move product and since they designed it, they probably know more about those types of problems and the solutions to resolve them than the majority of the folks on this site. Best of luck. :thumb:

Reactions: jokester00
#11 ·
Because the crack is not in the cup, often is in the head itself. Google on youtube and you will see it. Also the replacement cup that they send in the kit, its a little taller than the original one.
This week i replaced heads on a truck that i am working on with the ones from UCF and they came with the taller cups installed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.