Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Bulletproof EGR cooler gone bad?????

9K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  ZMANN 
#1 ·
New member here but have used this site for years. Everyone is knowledgeable and very helpful.

I bulletproofed my 2007 f-250 three years ago (bulletproof diesel egr cooler and ficm, oem oil cooler, head studs with oem gaskets, coolant flush and filled with elc coolant). Since then I haven't had any issues and the truck runs great.

Over this past weekend I was changing my oil and inspecting everything, I noticed one of the bolts that secure my egr valve in was stripped out. I proceeded to pull the egr valve out so I could helicoil the intake to fix it. When I pulled the egr valve I noticed the bottom of the intake manifold was wet. This points me in the direction of a bad egr cooler.

My question to you guys, is the egr cooler my problem or is there another issue?

Thanks in advance for the help.

#4 ·
I'd park nose down a slight downhill and see if it gets worse. Yes would suggest a compromised cooler. No would suggest typical ccv bleed through.

#5 ·
It has a lifetime warranty, I'd contact bpd and let them help you diagnose it properly.
I'm sure they'd much rather you contact them about their products than post in a forum.

#7 ·
Good morning!

If there is ever an issue, please do not hesitate to reach out to us!
Please give us a call at 480-247-2331 or 888-967-6653.
You may also email us at sales@bulletproofdiesel.com. However with events like this, we will need you to call us to best serve you.

#8 ·
Because the cause of failure for EGR coolers (OEM or BPD) is a clogged OIL cooler, you need to check your temp deltas to determine the condition of that oil cooler. It could have clogged even with ELC depending how well it was flushed, or with sand, etc. But certainly, though not the most likely thing, your BPD EGR cooler COULD have failed without a bad oil cooler. Basic troubleshooting shouldn't steer you to that first.

#9 ·
No sir!... you do not troubleshoot or determine root cause.

Nor do you call the manufacturer to discuss the issue.

You turn to social medial and find others to join in the bashing, then you take it to the streets and smash starbucks windows. :nod:

#10 ·
Thanks for they replies. I will do some further diagnosis and go from there. Hopefully its just the CCV. My deltas are running about 10-12* apart running 65.

Side note....3 months ago my water pump decided to crap out on me in the middle of KS on my way to CO for vacation. I ended up having a shop replace it only because I didn't bring my garage with me. Before this I was running maybe a 10* difference even running 75 across KS. I don't think this has anything to do with my issue or not but could be worth mentioning.

#11 ·
that new WP and higher Oil delta shouldn't be related

but remember new coolant may have been closer to or over the 50/50 so it won't cool quite as well as water biased mixed ?

i doubt even a incompetent shop could introduce enough contaminates in to the cooling system to cause an issue while doing a WP ?

did they do a new thermostat ?

did your baseline ECT change ?

10-12 is ok but I would try a back flush if it was mine

as far as the BPD I had 30* deltas for a while when my coolant experienced mass silicate drop out and my BPD EGR cooler didn't miss a beat

if you do change out the oil cooler I highly suggest a BPD remote oil cooler

#12 ·
No, they didn't change the thermostat and my baseline ECT didn't change.

I have been working 14 hr days all week so I haven't had a chance to mess with it.
I am hoping that its just the ccv. If so, would you guys go with a canister style mod to catch the oil or would you just run a hose down and let it drip on the ground?

With they way the BPD egr cooler is built I can't imagine it rupturing.

I would love to do the remote oil cooler but the price scares this sh*t out of me. When I get everything caught up I will be purchasing one but until then I will stick to the OEM cooler.

#13 ·
CCV reroute or catch can isn't a real necessity IMO

but if you do one do it right a large catch can with an element to catch the mist borne oil
or to Atmosphere just don't cause any restrictions

With they way the BPD egr cooler is built I can't imagine it rupturing
you and me both, thats why you got a little push back from some folks on your thread title

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.