Please Help!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2009, 02:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Please Help!!!

Ok So I just bought my first Diesel, and Im really starting to hate this truck!! I traded in a chevy s10 and now I have a seems to be big problem and dont know what it is.

First off I have a 2004 F250 Harley Davidson Diesel 6.0 The truck has 40,000 miles. Anyways, when I was driving today, I went to accelerate from a stop light and it wouldnt go. It was just bogging like a mo fo. It was so bad, I almost had to pull into the gas station. Eventually it went and as I looked back,there was a big cloud of white smoke. So much, the motorcycle behind me couldnt see. So I got to my moms house and was there for like 4 hours. On the way home, I was going about 30 MPHS, and the truck started bogging again and blowing white smoke like a MO Fo. This time, It wouldnt go, I had to pull over. I put it in nuetral and just kept giving it gas, and after about a minute of puffing white smoke, it cleared out and I was able to go. I got to my buddies house, and we were looking around the engine bay, and noticed the Antifreez thing was empty, nothing in it at all. So I went to the store bought some antifeeez, and added one bottle which went to the full line. I started the truck, pumped the gas about 20 times, and it was blowing a faint puff of white smoke from the exhaust. I check the antifreez again, and it was below the min line. I added more to the max line and drove home. I got home , again the truck blew a couple little puffs of white smoke but didnt bog, and I got home and the antifreez was below min again. I added more to max again and this is where I sit. The truck isnt leaking antifreez, Ive check my driveway and everything other place Ive parked, there isnt any leaks. What the hell is going on with my truck. Thanks

Berger
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2009, 03:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Oh my another EGR cooler bites the dust. An unfortunate common problem for the 6.0 engine. Check out the sponsers page here there are some good aftermarket cooler packages available. Altho you should still be under warrenty. You might ask your dealer if they will install one of the aftermarket ones, I am partial to the one from Bulletproofdiesel.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Im sorry to be so dumb, but i am new to the diesel trucks, but is this something I can do myself with a friend who knows about trucks? And is there a way to find out for certain if this is what is wrong? Can I keep driving it for a few more days or weeks until I fix it? What do I do when It bogs down? Thanks for your help?
Old 11-08-2009, 08:35 PM
Banned

Welcome to the site and the only dumb questions are the ones you dont ask.

Yes you and a friend could do this easily.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well I appreciate those nice words, Ive been on some other forums with my last truck, the s10, and if you asked a questions and someone asked it a year or two ago, they would flip out?

I went to Ebay and I see EGR Valves, gaskets, coolers, and a bunch of other stuff?? What exactly do I need, and is their a certain web site I can go to? I would rather someone say, Kris, heres what you need, then for someone to tell me to look at all the different companies. I have no clue!! Can I wait a week or so to replace it, or am I causing more damage? What can I do here? Thanks
Old 11-08-2009, 09:20 PM
Banned

Im no mechanic and I only buy brand new trucks so I havent had to deal with any problems myself. I know there is a great DIY section here and there are alot of guys who have forgotten more than I will ever know. So ill let someone else chime in here
Old 11-13-2009, 05:57 AM
Premium Member

Changing the EGR cooler is a difficult operation. There are many tricks to doing it. Most dealer techs who have done several can do the operation in a few hours. For a weekend warrior, I would plan on the whole weekend. On our website, we have a link to factory repair manual information. And of course, we offer all the free advice you can handle.

You might want to check out our ever growing dealer network. There might be a repair facility near you.

Good luck!
Old 11-13-2009, 06:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFab67 View Post
Changing the EGR cooler is a difficult operation. There are many tricks to doing it. Most dealer techs who have done several can do the operation in a few hours. For a weekend warrior, I would plan on the whole weekend. On our website, we have a link to factory repair manual information. And of course, we offer all the free advice you can handle.

You might want to check out our ever growing dealer network. There might be a repair facility near you.

Good luck!
What would be cheaper/easier......fixing the EGR Cooler or doing an EGR delete kit??
Old 11-13-2009, 06:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to Black&Gold Send a message via Skype™ to Black&Gold
i would recommend you do the EGR delete kit. it will save you in the long run, especially if you want to do any mods.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black&Gold View Post
i would recommend you do the EGR delete kit. it will save you in the long run, especially if you want to do any mods.
Where can I get that at, and is that something I can install myself??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.