Really need help: Turbo issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2007, 12:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 05boosted250 Send a message via MSN to 05boosted250 Send a message via Yahoo to 05boosted250
Really need help: Turbo issues

Im driving down the street, radio on, and I go to pass someone so I punch it and I hear what sounded like a pop / snap /crack kind of sound and I lose power. I pull of the side of the rode, and rev it and it seems to run fine, idles fine, throttles up fine. I get out and look and visually cant see anything wrong, no leaking oils. I pop the hood, and without really digging around, everything looks connected.

Now I put it in drive and go and now I have no power. My boost gauge reads 1 psi when Im at 40mph. It takes forever to get to that speed to with alot of black smoke dumping out the exhaust under alot of throttle ( not so much when just cruising ). Its almost like I have this heavy beepbeepbeep truck and motor with no turbo.

There is a loud whistle and also what sounds like alot of whoosing coming from the engine bay ( guessing the turbo ).

Can anyone think of what might be wrong? Is it something I can look at in my driveway and replace if its a possible hose or something. This is my daily so if I can avoid the dealership, Id like to. Not to mention the teeth I have to pull to get them to fix things since Im on 40's. Please any help is greatly appreciated. Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2007, 01:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Check your intrecooler boots I'm willing to bet one of them blew off/out
Old 03-14-2007, 01:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to 05boosted250 Send a message via MSN to 05boosted250 Send a message via Yahoo to 05boosted250
You are the man!!!! ( Sorry if your female, but your still the man!!! )

Thats what it was. It was the hose that connects right into the turbo.

Now... What would cause this? I noticed on the clamp that it also had staples that went into the hose to help hold it down and they were pulled out and also the clamp itself was still pretty tight. Would a bad wastegate or blow off valve cause this?

I have a programmer, but its only set at 60hp right now.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ok Im stilling having issues..

I put it back on clamped it down and took it for a spin. It ran like normal till I punched it and boost went to 29lbs and POP / WHOOOOOOSH!!!!! It happened again.

Limped home, put it back on, and sat in the driveway, with hood and door open, so I could watch it. Reved engine up and I could see the piping start to rise and the boot begin to swell. I let off before it popped again. What gives?

EDIT: If I drive this to work in the AM and home, and just dont get mad crazy with the throttle, will it be ok till issue is solved or should I not be driving it???
Old 03-14-2007, 03:33 PM
Jon

Usually

It is a sign that your turbo vanes are sticking. Usually if you get your turbo cleaned it takes care of it. Do you have an excessive sound of air being pushed back out your intake when you get into it hard then let off?
Old 03-14-2007, 03:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Well I know the whistling sound is louder and I lost the whoosh whoosh whoosh sound, so Im guessing Im not cuz isnt that where the excess air xcapes?
Old 03-14-2007, 03:51 PM
Jon

The

Problem is that once those boots blow off they really are in need of replacement. The stapled ones are originals. We see that alot. 98% of the time its the turbo. But with that kind of boost thats gonna cause some issues too.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

wait, so is my problem just the turbo needs a cleaning? where is that done? can i do it myself, does the turbo gotta come out? is it safe to drive just dont boost?
Old 03-14-2007, 04:05 PM
Jon

The problem is

Your truck has an issue that we deal with in the dealership. Your truck has warrenty right? I wouldnt advise anyone that doesnt have experience or resources in the removal or teardown of a 6.0 turbo to do it. If you take it to a dealer and they say that it is normal for the boot to blow off take it somewhere else.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The boots blowing off can be from the ccv which tends to coat everything in an oily film. If you look at the boots, you may see an oily,black,seepage? This seepage makes it hard for the clamp to hold. First you will need to clean the boots and tubes very thoroughly and re torque.
I have also read about the staples that you mentioned being improperly installed. Instead of going through the boot and into the tube, they bend over and don't hold like they should. (Just what I have read, but it comes from a very reliable source)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.