check engine light on, wont go off - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2005, 01:42 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
check engine light on, wont go off

i have an 05 ford excursion powerstroke. i got the afe w/ proguard and turboback performance exhaust. ever since i put on the afe the dang check engine light came on and wont go off. its been at the ford dealer for 2 weeks now and they cant figure out why??? does anyone have any ideas or similar experiences??? i decided the mechanics need help, i want my powerstroke back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2005, 02:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have the same problem with the AFE stage 2. AFE says out of the 4500 units shipped they have had 89 reported engine light problems. They sent me an "improved" filter and the light went out for about 5 miles. From what I understand the intake kit I installed has a larger intake tube wich flows a larger volume of air. The problem is the velocity of the air is not fast enough. AFE states they are diligently working on a fix to increase the velocity. It doesn't seem like it should be that difficult since they are a pretty large company specializing in Air Intakes. Hopefully they fix it soon cause I'm getting pretty tired of explaining to passengers why the engine light in my brand new truck is on.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:24 PM

What dtc are you getting?
Old 08-13-2009, 07:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON AGAIN...HOW MANY EGR VALVES WILL THEY PUT IN THIS TIME?

OK. Where do I start?

I've had my 04 F-250 Super Duty 6.0 Powerstroke since it was new and it's given me nothing but problems from day one.

NOW the check engine light is on AGAIN. It's come on at least 10 times in the past 2 months and I've had it back to my dealer at least 6 times in those 2 months. They keep telling me the code tells them it's the EGR valve, so they keep replacing it. Every time the truck ran for about a day and then the check engine light comes back on. The motor is also surging. Sitting at a red light the damn engine began to surge and pulled me into the intersection and damn near killed me...I had to stand on the brake pedal to get it to stop.

I've had it with this truck. 76,000 miles on and nothing but problems from day one.

Ford in Detroit (customer service) has agreed to extend the engine warranty for me to 7 years, 200,000 miles. Not much consolation if the damn truck is in the shop every two weeks.

Any suggestions guys?
Old 08-13-2009, 08:04 AM

Yes, do an egr block off, stud the heads, put the intake back to stock, put a good tune on it and she'll last you the rest of your life. Find an aftermarket diesel shop that specializes in solving 6.0 problems. solving a few inherent problems with the 6.0 will make it every bit as durable and reliable as the 7.3, plus It'll run the axx off one.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:47 AM
Serving Our Country!

get rid of the cold air intake, that is what i did in the Excursion. i put the stock one back on and no more check engine light. or get a programmer that erases the check engine light when you start the truck. that is what i use right now.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:19 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to chuckles
CAI's dont do much for these trucks when under about 500hp other than make a bunch of noise. Ditch the CAI.

kc10ken, you should ditch your dealer and find one that knows what they are doing. Sounds like your truck is suffering more from incompetent techs, then it's own problems. Also if you can get the actual code number, post it here so others can help with specifics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.