Injector Failure. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2009, 07:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Injector Failure.

When injectors go out can it be electrical or mechanical. Reason why i wonder is the first crappy shop went to told me they could do what ford could on the puter. They hooked it up and my injectors show good and good pressure to them. When they drive it and misses injectors show good. Now they said there just looking a the electronics of the injector. When all said and done there computer couldnt do what fords does and they pissed me off. I was there to see the injectors showing good. Now Im wondering when ford hooks up to it are the going to see different then them or going to end up being something else. Ive been pondering ICP sensor but no leaking oil. EGR brand new but soon to be deleted. New fuel filters and fuel pump. Was pondering fuel pump failure again but should do it all the time if it was that. Pretty sure not turbo doing it. FICM checked out good on there computer also. Could a cam position sensor cause this to happen maybe? Maybe a internal high pressure oil leak or HPOP going bad?

Not sure sorry to put so many posts on here but I hate waiting to go to ford and see what they have to say. Id rather figure it out on my own and fix the problem. Just being on the org here an seeing what happend to other people helps out a lot when trying to figure your own problem out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2009, 01:12 AM

AHHH the joys of injection diagnostics

There is the rub of it that makes diagnoseing injection issues such a pain, and where so many make their mistakes.

You indeed have to determin whether the problem is in the electrical end or an actual physical problem with the injector itself. You can have an injection problem without ever showing a code, and pass the buzz tests as well.

You have the electrical part telling the injector when where and how much fuel to inject and for how long.
You have the high pressure oil part that provides the actual physical force to move the injector parts.
Then you have the actual physical parts of the injector mechanisim itself.

This link provides a good detailed description of the process with pictures.
6.0L Bible Table of Contents
Old 11-01-2009, 06:01 AM

So on Fords computer can they physically shut an injector off when its missing to determine which one is bad or not. I mean you shut the one off and its still missing it that one. You shut a good on off and it gets worse its not it.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:09 AM

Old 11-01-2009, 06:22 AM

That is correct resmoke, they can shut them off one at a time.

Mornin dukey 78
Old 11-01-2009, 07:48 AM

Thats what I was hoping they could do. I cant wait to get my truck back its driving me nuts not having it and cant wait to see whats wrong cause thats driving me nuts to. Ive been to ford and they said nothing wrong with it after got the injector replaced and egr. It still cut out every morning since and now is horrible. I wish I could just get my hands on a ford computer so I could learn and do this my self. Plus you could make a lot of extra side money doing it for people and not charging them 100 bucks a pop.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:42 PM

The current ford scan tool is available from Rotunda for a little over $2000.00 thru MOTORCRAFT® PARTS FOR FORD, LINCOLN OR MERCURY VEHICLES
There is also a Chinease knockoff (questionable) for about $580.00
There is also an open source software from ScanTool.net, LLC - Scan Tools, PC-based OBD-II (OBD2) Interfaces, OBD diagnostic software for a little over 200.00.
You have to buy the basic software plus the extended Ford package to get dealer level capabilities.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:06 PM

The initial of getting it would be kinda steep but I think it would pay off in the end owning one.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I know this thread is a little old but does any one have the scan tool mentioned above from here and how good does it do for checking injectors OBDLink Scan Tool/OBD Interface - ScanTool.net
Old 05-12-2010, 04:47 PM

I have that one I would recomend the autoengineuity (spelling?)
The one I have does an automated test only the autoe is more versital for about the same money
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.