Injectors are tasty says my 6.0 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2009, 06:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Injectors are tasty says my 6.0

Ok, so at least the 3rd injector in two years. Is there some underlying cause? I change the oil like a good boy and use only good fuel (one bad batch that I have hit in 2 yrs, but it wasn't too awful, just bad MPG)

What can I tell the techs to look at?

Is there someone in Charleston, SC that is awesome and could help me out?

Mostly interested in the first question- What is the most likely underlying cause of 'routine' injector failure?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2009, 06:25 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
low fuel preasure?

allot of people to the regulated return kit to keep a constant suply of fuel to the back injectors.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:28 PM

as far as these injectors go you have to seriously be meticulous on care and good fuel. always change oil like you do. always change fuel filters with motorcraft filters USE A DIESEL ADDITIVE this adds lubricity back into the system and will keep them runnin like they should. see if your truck has had the recent ficm re flash to keep the valves in the injector from sticking. im prob missin somethin...
Old 10-27-2009, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Has it been the same injector or different ones?
Old 10-27-2009, 06:49 PM

didnt they have a prob with the tip heating up and falling off releasing large amounts of fuel and almost melting the pistons?
Old 10-27-2009, 06:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The main causes of injector failure are extended oil change entervals and low fuel pressure. Since you change your oil "like a good boy" the oil should not be the problem. Second check your fuel pressure. It should be as close to or above 60psi as you can get. Also make sure you have the newest FICM flash available. Is the truck hard to start in the morning/white smoke and low power when cold? If it does its probably a stiction issue. IH has a new "updated" injector that will help with this issue but the whole set has to be replaced on 04' to 06 or can be replaced indevidualy on 03' model trucks. I dont know that Ford has the same setup or not. If you go to the IH dealer the full sets can not be sold overthe counter like normally. The parts guy will have to get one of the techs in the shop to start a case file with IH and have them direct shipped to the dealer. I have done this for several people here were I work but you will have to be pretty nice to the parts guy to get him to try it for you. On the individual injectos on not sure on the price difference between Ford and IH but if you get the whole set it is about half the price and comes with new case to head tubes and port plugs.

Sorry for the long post just tryin to get out as much help as I can.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNStroKE View Post
didnt they have a prob with the tip heating up and falling off releasing large amounts of fuel and almost melting the pistons?
This is a very limited problem but the tips split not fell off and 9/10 the pistons didnt almost melt they did melt. I have seen some that got lucky and piston was all that was damaged to the piston being welded inside of the cylinder and taking out the block but like I said its a VERY LIMITED PROBLEM unless tons of white smoke(not steam) are coming out once the engine is warm dont worry about this.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:12 PM

oil bypass filter, fuel additive, and keep water out of the fuel supply.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:09 PM

Well, if I waited til the G2G (not a problem) I'd still have to change it myself, not sure i want to venture down that road....I will see if my fuel pressure gauge goes that high- I think the only one I have is from a carbureted vehicle.

I did have a major fuel supply issue a while back- kinked fuel line somehow on top of the tank and the fuel pump took a dump because of it...could have been a cause.

The injectors in the past were 2- #4 and 1- #2, no idea what this one is.

I have a new FICM tune from PHP, so I think that is safe. It does run like crap when I first start it up, but I think its mostly due to the awful injector missing, then it smooths out after it warms (but still shudders when in OD at 47-57ish mph- guaranteed fuel injector death sign)

Thanks for the help all.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:45 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Low fuel pressure will kill your injectors. Since you have an SCT and FICM tuning, and you don't have any fueling mods, you are seriously increasing your likelihood of having a repeat failure. Look into fueling mods as your next upgrade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.