Oil in coolant overflow tank - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2009, 02:30 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You need to have Ford's TSB article number 08-23-1 handy for the repair you have at hand. DO NOT continue to drive your truck with this condition present. Although I realize money tight, but you will probably end up needing to replace ALL rubber hoses that coolant passes through, including the coolant degas bottle itself. The reason I say this, is because oil expands all the rubber, thus inhibitting its ability to seal. Of greater concern, is the contaminated mixture that is present in the engine block. This is why it is absolutely crucial that you A), follow the TSB procedure to the tee, B) NOT continue to drive the truck with the contaminated substance present in the block to the point where it will bake onto the walls, and lastly I highly recommend removing both the heater core and radiator to have it flushed out at a specialty shop, since both are very easy to access and remove.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2009, 07:22 PM

It will be your oil cooler, likely EGR cooler as well and possibly the head gasket. I had the same issue with my truck just over a month ago. The dealer replaced the oil cooler and EGR cooler my head gasket was alright.

COOLING SYSTEM DIAGNOSTICS—OIL IN ENGINE TSB 07-23-14
COOLANT—6.0L
Old 10-28-2009, 12:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Would anybody happen to have a copy of tsb 8-23-1, or know how I can acquire it? Google wasn't helpful on this one. Thanks
Old 10-28-2009, 02:59 AM

Damn man if I saw this yesterday I would have shot you a pm. I just sold a oil cooler kit nib with the screen that goes underneath it for $200 both new in the box. Hope you find a good deal. Listen to m-chan68. those are words of wisdom.

I might have another one, I will keep you posted. If I don't have one I know of someone who does that may come off it about as cheap as I did and I can ship it to you. If he comes off it cheaper for me I won't even try to make any money off it and let you know straight up. Are you going to be doing the work? If so got a couple things I could throw in a package that you might need. pm if interested.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:47 AM

TSB
09-18-12 COOLING SYSTEM DIAGNOSTICS - OIL IN ENGINE COOLANT - 6.0L

Publication Date: September 8, 2009

FORD: 2003-2005 Excursion
2003-2007 F-Super Duty
2004-2009 E-Series

This article supersedes TSB 07-23-14 to update the Issue Statement, Service Procedure and Part List.

ISSUE:
Some 2003-2007 F-Super Duty, 2003-2005 Excursion and 2004-2009 E-Series vehicles equipped with a 6.0L engine, may exhibit oil contamination into the cooling system due to an internally leaking oil cooler heat exchanger.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

NOTE: ONLY USE THIS PROCEDURE IF OIL IN COOLANT IS VERIFIED, EGR COOLER WILL BE INSPECTED FOR INTERNAL LEAKS DURING OIL COOLER SERVICE.

Replace the oil cooler heat exchanger following Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-01 Removal and Installation, Oil Cooler, and Disassembly and Assembly, Oil Cooler, instructions.
NOTE: ENSURE THAT THE OIL RESERVOIR IS CLEAN OF ANY DEBRIS AND THAT THE SCREEN AT THE BOTTOM OF THE RESERVOIR IS NOT DAMAGED.

NOTE: LEAKING OIL COOLERS ARE FREQUENTLY CAUSED BY RESTRICTED COOLANT PASSAGES WITHIN THE OIL COOLER HEAT EXCHANGER. THESE RESTRICTIONS CAN ALSO CAUSE DAMAGE BY OVERHEATING THE EGR COOLER.

Prior to reassembly, remove and check the EGR cooler for leaks using the 2008 6.4L F-Super Duty or LCF EGR cooler block off adapters.
NOTE: A DEFECTIVE EGR COOLER CAN CAUSE COOLANT TO VENT OUT OF THE DEGAS BOTTLE AND APPEAR SIMILAR TO HEADGASKET FAILURE.

Remove the EGR cooler from the engine following WSM, Section 303-08.
Install block off adapters using standard screws and washers. (Figure 1)

Figure 1 - Article 09-18-12

Install shop air adapter and regulator and pressurize cooler to 30 psi (207 kPa). Listen for leaks.
NOTE: FOR VERY SMALL LEAKS, IT MAY BE REQUIRED THAT EGR COOLER REMAIN SUBMERGED FOR UP TO 15 MINUTES TO AID IN LEAK IDENTIFICATION. THIS TIME IS NEEDED TO ALLOW SMALL LEAKS TO DISPLACE ENOUGH WATER FROM THE COOLANT PASSAGES TO BECOME EVIDENT.

Submerge the EGR cooler horizontally in the water, with the coolant ports pointing upward. Manipulate the cooler under water to purge all trapped air from the internal coolant passages. (Figure 2)

Figure 2 - Article 09-18-12

Inspect for continuous bubbles escaping from the coolant ports.
If continuous bubbles identify a leak, replace the EGR cooler. Proceed to Step 3.
If bubbles do not identify a leak, do not replace the EGR Cooler. Install and proceed to Step 3.
Flush cooling and heater system together using the latest service procedure. Refer to other applicable articles.
Use Radiator Refiller tool to fill cooling system. Refer to WSM, Section 303-03.
Replace the degas bottle pressure cap due to oil contamination.
Change engine oil and oil filter.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

is there also water in oil? probably oil cooler. egr cooler is next
Old 08-25-2010, 01:35 PM

03dieselman, what did your coolant look like. I just drained mine today and it was dark brown almost black and smelled like burnt antifreeze. I could barley smell any antifreeze just mostly burnt. It didn't smell like oil or look alot like it either, just black, and burnt smelling. Was that anything like yours?
Old 12-29-2010, 07:09 AM

Hi guys,
I think i have the same problem. I own a 03 6.0 f350, and today i was driving at highway speed, everything was going ok, until i stop for a drink. There i realized that there was oil all over the front left tire. I pop up the hood and surprise! Milky brownish thing coming out of the coolant reservoir. I checked the engine oil and no water. While driving, no strange noises, temperature looks normal, no white smoke. I installed a complete egr cooling delete kit last march. Could this be the oil coolant? I really dont think (or dont want to think) is a blown headgasket...

Any advice?

Thanks a lot

Luis Amenabar Sch.
Chile
Old 12-29-2010, 12:53 PM

Luis you most likely have a blown egr/oil cooler do some reading around the forums and you will see that it is a common problem
Old 12-29-2010, 03:28 PM

Hi Chango. I just got back home to my pc, that post was from my BB. I´ll do some reading now. Is there any upgrade for this cooler?

thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.