Tea Kettle Whistle with NO Puking - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2009, 08:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tea Kettle Whistle with NO Puking

Hey guys. I have bee running erics xtreme street for about 5 months. About 1 month after I loaded the tune I noticed some very minor puking around my rad cap. It was such a little amount and after I cleaned it off I drove for another 4 months with no more puking. At the time I figured the minor puking was because my coolant level was a little bit overfilled and it just puked out to the level it wanted to be at.

Then a few weeks ago after I let off from WOT I heard what I thought was a tea kettle whistle sound. I had my radio up and wasnt 100% if it was a tea kettle sound or I was hearing things so I didnt worry about it at the time. Now last week I was driving with the radio off and let off from WOT again and I heard a definite tea kettle whistle sound. I left my tune on and was just being easy on the truck. Until this weekend when my truck started starting funny. On friday when I was leaving work the truck seemed to crank longer then usual and seemed to be turning over slower. Then saturday morning I went to start it and it did the same thing. I started the truck maybe 4 more times saturday and every time It would crank for maybe 4-5 seconds and was still turning over slower than usual.

So saturday after noon I returned the truck to stock because I still have warranty so I decided I was going to make a appointment to take it into the dealer sometime this week. After I returned the truck to stock it started fast like it always used to all the rest of the day saturday, all day sunday and all day today. My first question is why would my truck start slower and crank longer with my tune installed but now that I am back to stock it seems to be starting normal?

Also on my way home from work today I was driving the truck pretty hard because I wanted to check if I would still get the tea kettle whistle while stock. And I heard the whistle a few times today and also smelled coolant a few times. When I got home tonight I popped the hood for the first time in a couple weeks and was expecting to see coolant puked all over but I still have no puking. My last question is how come my truck isnt puking with the tea kettle whistle? I always thought the whistle was the coolant puking from the overflow?

Obviously Ive got head gasket problems, egr problems or both. I am still going to take it into the dealer this week and see what they say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2009, 04:54 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The whistle is the pressure getting blown off threw the cap. The reason there is no coolant is because the level is down far enough to keep it from spewing out while the pressure is venting off. You have a head gasket issue.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twildman View Post
The whistle is the pressure getting blown off threw the cap. The reason there is no coolant is because the level is down far enough to keep it from spewing out while the pressure is venting off. You have a head gasket issue.

+1

I had the same symptoms with the whistle and my head gaskets were blown.

Not sure about the slow cranking though.....

--Snake
Old 10-27-2009, 06:38 PM

Ok guys. I figured it was head gaskets instead of egr because I dont have any white smoke out the exhaust and I my coolant level hasnt moved at all. Ill make an appointment with the dealer this week. Hopefully they will diagnose it as head gaskets instead of trying to screw me around or anything and hopefully I will be able to get studs installed.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Headgasket or egr cooler

Have a 2008 f450 with 6.4L and 112,000mi. Noticed a tea kettle whistle on acceleration but no puking. Coolant tank is a bit low but has remained level for nearly 1,000 miles. Fuel economy is 25 % below normal and low end accell is a bit weak. I get a bit of white smoke for the first 5 minutes but then none. What does everyone think...egr cooler or head gaskets. Truck seems to run fine and temp levels stay normal. Any help would be great.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

what did the dealer say? head gasket egr or both. im having the same exact issues with mine
Old 09-12-2013, 02:00 PM
Addicted to the Rattle

Me too. ...so...what was the problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.