Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

P0299 CEL, Can't figure it out

Tags
p0299
9K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  OPCJeff 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone ... My first post, about my first PSD, not my first problem and probably wont be my last.

My truck: Stock 2007 F250 6.0 XL FX4 w/ 6SPD Man, 30k mi. on new turbo, oil cooler, EGR cooler

My truck's warranty is expiring in about 2500 miles and I wanted to start installing updates/upgrades to prolong the life of it since repair costs seem to be so high when it comes to repairing the 6.0. I started with the coolant filter and decided it was about time I performed my own coolant flush at the same time. When I undid the heater core hose, green coolant puked out (thank you last repair shop!). I performed the coolant flush per powerstrokehelp.com's instructions (with an additional distilled water flush), installed the coolant filter and filled it with ELC. Drove around for a few days and on my commute to work the CEL came on with the following codes: P0069, P0470, P0478, P0299.

After a ton of forum exploring, I decided to check the EBP sensor and tube. The tube was about filled solid with soot and I cleaned it in a warm ultrasonic parts wash, reinstalled with a new EBP sensor & pigtail, cleared codes and drove it for a few days until the CEL came back on again. This time, the only code was P0299. It threw the code coasting downhill w/ the A/C on. Checked the intercooler boots, found a tear in the upper boot, replaced both, checked the EGR valve, it was practically solid in soot, cleaned and reinstalled, cleared code, drove and P0299 came back. Took it to a local shop (no Ford dealer near me) and they said they couldn't really find anything abnormal other than my ICP sensor voltage was super high, they recommended that I change the ICP sensor, which I did, cleared the codes and drove once again only to have the CEL come back on with the P0299 code again. During that drive, I was going uphill while watching live ODBII readings and the truck did some surging/fuel cutout thing @ 210F coolant temp so I backed off and babied it back home.

On Monday it has to go back to the shop but I would like to get some insight from anyone on what this P0299 code could be. Unison ring? Clogged CAT (Im in cali so cant chuck it unfortunately), should I rip out the coolant filter? Any help would be much appreciated and if you need any further explaination, please let me know.

See less See more
#2 ·
I would bet P0299 code to be the turbo veins can't move. To check it see if VGT% gets to 15 or 85 when driving, and it points to that. If you do decide to pull the turbo, consider getting a unison ring before hand. You can't get them on Amazon Prime and two day shipping can be pricey. Cleaning the veins alone would probably fix it, but if you're going through the effort of pulling and cleaning the turbo, the extra hundred dollars or so for the unison ring could be worth piece of mind that the repair will last longer, or you won't have your truck down for a few extra days waiting on the unison ring to arrive.

You said you changed the turbo, but if it was a used turbo, I would lean more towards the clogged veins. I hope it's not clogged after only 30k. I think you've seen this one:

Could be a MAF sensor hose has holes.

May also be a leak anywhere from the turbo to manifold. Here's one way to check it:

#3 ·
Thank you for the quick reply and I apologize for my slow reply.
I see where u are going with your response and I will definitely order a unison ring before tearing into the turbo. I just can't believe the vanes would be sticking already. The truck boosts fine up to about 23psi, could it do that with the vanes sticking?

#4 ·
Update on the truck's status

It has been a very frustrating few weeks ...
The truck went to a legit diesel mechanic this time vs. the local gas mechanic. He ran some tests and came to the conclusion that the turbo was failing, replaced it with a brand new turbo this time (2nd turbo now), with all the updates; replaced the VGT actuator valve as well. He said he test drove the crud out of it and no codes. I took the truck for a 45 min drive and the P0299 code dinged again, babied it home, mechanic cleared codes again, and after awhile the code came back. Only this time, I was 1.5 hours away from home.

This time the truck started bucking like crazy throughout the powerband, my brand new turbo housing was rust color and it was completely undrivable. Per the mechanics request, I dropped the Cat and POOF the truck was completely drivable again. Cleared the codes and drove it home w/o the cat. The next day while test driving it popped the code AGAIN! I installed a new EGR Valve (old one looked like poop) and guess what, the code came back again.

Installed the blue spring upgrade, cleared codes and test driving again to see if the code comes on again. I am totally expecting it to come back and I am going crazy over all this. Below is the list of things that have been done:

Turbo
Intercooler boots
EBP sensor and tube cleaning
ICP sensor
Turbo Actuator
Coolant filter
EGR Valve
Blue spring upgrade
New Oil & Filter
New Fuel Filters

Recent Repairs 30k ago:
Oil Cooler
HPOP & screens
EGR Cooler
Reman Turbo

I have emissions testing in January and can't have this code floating around. With the new turbo the truck drives like a bat out of hell, probably b/c I have never drove it w/ a properly functioning turbo. I bought the truck w/ 60k for $6500 so I am by no means too far into a hole but getting really tired of fixing this dang thing. Any help on what to check next would be much appreciated!

#5 ·
BARO, MAP, and EBP should all match before starting. Do they?

Also @ChrisSki mentioned the MAP sensor (he said MAF, but I'm sure that was a typo). I've seen no other mention here. It's worth a look at the integrity and cleanliness of that hose.

#7 · (Edited)
Part number for the unison ring is 3C3Z-6C885-A Just did one this morning on a customers truck. The unison ring was stuck to the housing and the actuator actually wore the groove in the ring to a kidney shape. This truck also had the P0299 code. And the turbo cleaning and new unison ring cured the low power and underboost code.

#8 ·
Did you replace the ebp sensor?
Can you monitor ebp readings with your device? If so, Koeo, watch ebp. Reach under the degas bottle and wiggle the connector lightly. See if the readings change.
The fact that it started bucking points to an electrical input fault most likely. Especially since 2 turbos have been hung on this thing already lol.

I'd bet money that nobody who looked at this truck even looked up the code setting criteria For a p0299. Which is the first logical step to solving any code really.

#9 · (Edited)
Due to the location on 05+ trucks, the ebp sensor/connector are inherent to electrical fault.
At some point in the trucks life, coolant pukes out the degas bottle and contaminates the sensor/connector. Or the connector rubs on the bottom of the degas bottle. Either way, on later trucks they are prone to issues
Not saying it is the problem of course. But it is one place I look to promptly when dealing with a boost or egr issue on these trucks.
And don't count on it throwing a code. Often times they don't.

#11 ·
So the EBP fault tree was followed initially, sensor and pigtail replaced and the tube cleaned before putting in the new turbo. Fortunately, after the blue spring install, the code has not come back and I have driven about 230 miles. Keeping my fingers crossed!

#13 ·
No, the pressure wasn't monitored first. I had bought the upgrade prior to the truck needing any work done on it and the mechanic came by my house and installed it when I was at work. I'm putting the cat back on tomorrow so hopefully it doesn't do the bucking thing again. I will keep everyone posted.

#14 ·
Cat won't cause it to buck. It'll cause a lack of boost/power that gets worse the harder you get on it

#15 ·
Soooo.... the mechanic tore the turbo out of his Dad's broke down 6.0, installed in it my truck and the CEL has not come on a single time. He offered to let me keep the turbo but I refused, I paid for a brand new turbo and that is what I want in the truck. He said that the clogged cat caused the EGT's to skyrocket and smoked the new turbo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.