coolant - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2009, 04:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
coolant

i have a 2003 Ford F-350 with the 6 liter in her. she has 87,000 miles on her and the guy i baught it off of had head gaskets done on it and studded the heads too. i have coolant comming out front above the starter when running and its a pretty good drip. wondering if its a head gasket or could it be something else. any advice is appreciated.

thank you
Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2009, 04:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

anyone????
Old 10-26-2009, 04:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Could be just a leaking freeze plug. Ya been running the right antifreeze right. Time to break out a good flashlight and an inspection mirror.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yes i have been. i was wondering if it could be some cooling line on the top end of the engine that i just cant see. but when you slide under the truck you can see the anti-freeze dripping right off the starter
Old 10-26-2009, 04:54 PM

Do you actually think it's coming from the head gasket or could it be running (wicking) down the top of the head gasket that sticks out a little. I had a leak similar to this and also thought it was coming from the headgasket since coolant was dripping off the head gasket just above the starter. It actually turned out to be the little short hose that connects the EGR cooler to the coolant port under the turbo. The hose has a metal insert on each end that's clamped inside this hose with orings retained inside it. The hose was loose on the metal insert allowing coolant to leak by. While I had the intake off I went ahead and deleted the EGR cooler. I shouldn't have this problem anymore and hopefully no future head gasket problems either.

Jim
Old 10-26-2009, 04:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Well if I remember right there is a freeze plug above the starter. Yer just gonna have to look with a light and see if you can see where it is comeing out. Ya can do the ultraviolt dye thing, but ya still gotta do the same thing. Look at the freeze plugs and along the edge where the head meets the block. If you see nothing then look at the thermostat houseing it could have a small leak from the gasket on the inboard side.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:27 PM

As dannyboy950 mentioned above, ya gona have to get a good look. You can get it up to operating temps and crawl under it while running and start looking. I took a blow gun and dried the wet areas to narrow down where it was coming from. A telescoping inspection mirror would be handy as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.