Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Random cylinder contribution balance fault

36K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  Heavy_GD 
#1 ·
Hey guy first post. Let's just say I have about had it with this truck. 2007 f350 6.0 psd. I had recently done head gaskets arp studs. Egr delete updated oil cool. She fired right up and ran like a top. Thought I was all good until it reached operation temp. I had gotten cylinder contribution fault on number 1. It later bounced to 3 then 5 then back to 1. I replaced injector 1 after couple day of back tracking. Couldn't find anything wrong. After I had replaced #1 injector the ccb fault bounced to the other side to # 2. Then moved to 8 then 4 then over to 3 and back to 2. I thought number 2 was the problem so I swapped 2 and 4 to see if it followed. It did not follow. I then pulled all injector to re oring then and copper washer them. All 7 came out and 7 back in. 8th injector is new. Fired it up and what do you know it still has a contribution fault moving around everyday. I've checked everything. Hi pressure oil it 590 at idle. Ficm voltage it 13v and steady 48v flat. All my harnesses are clean and no rub through. Oil level is full 15w40. Motor craft oil and fuel filters. Just this morning my oil gauge on the dash was reading nothing then when I gave it some throttle it went to normal only at idle would it bottom out. I checked low side oil pressure and it is at around 25 psi idle op temp. Icp voltage koeo is 0.25 and 0.80 koer at op temp. Icp duty cycle percentage is 25%while running. Goes up and down and the psi follows. I'm completely lost guys. Please someone help. I haven't had it re programmed after for egr delete. And I don't know if I just need a reflag or what

See less See more
#2 ·
Honestly, when I think of random, inconsistent injector faults, I think ficm.
You try running a buzz test?

#6 ·
When mine did this Ford said it needed two injectors but recommended replacing all 8 (which is actually good advice) but I said I would wait, got on here and started reading up and learning about my truck and it turned out to be my FICM like everyone else mentioned. Injectors actually lasted 300k miles.

But here is the kicker, what was making my FICM act up was weak batteries so, if it turns out it's your FICM I would suggest making sure you have a good set of batteries in there.

#7 ·
^ yup most definitely.. It seems that weak batteries/charging system is a certain FICM killer :(

#9 ·
Oh absolutely. There is a whole lot going on inside that module besides just taking in 12v and putting out 48.

#11 ·
Well I replaced the ficm today. Found that I had 22 volts with koeo so replaced the ficm. It still has the ccb fault when warm. Jumping from 6 to 3 to 2 to 4 and then 5. It misses for couple seconds goes away for couple min then misses again for couple seconds. Only at idle

#12 ·
What are the exact codes? All of them. How do you know the cylinder faults are bouncing around?

#13 ·
P0266 p0263 p0269 p0272 p0275 p0278 p0281. Reason I know it's moving around is I'll get a code for 1 of any cylinder. At the end of the day I will clear it then the next night I'll have a code for a different cylinder. Goes all over the place. For the most part I have gotten 2 4 3 and 5 the most. I also have the typical egr codes for the delete

#14 ·
Hmm strange. You checked fuel pressure? Although, that would typically have more of an effect while driving than idle.
Almost sounds like maybe a cmp or ckp issue, especially since it only happens once warm.
And no loss of power when driving? Everything good there?

#16 ·
Naa that's good pressure.
If I had to guess and start throwing parts at it, I'd try a cmp sensor. Have seen similar symptoms on 7.3's.
Different but similar system.
IN terms of cost, likelihood and ease of replacement, wouldn't be a terrible call.
Hard to say without seeing it and having some better diagnostic equipment on it.

#17 ·
It's just weird cuz a ficm would probably cause similar symptoms if one of the low side drivers, internal to the ficm, were failing. Mind you, drivers typically don't intermittently fail. But that's not to say driver circuitry inside the ficm wouldn't cause this. But I believe one driver would cause 2,3,5,8 cyl faults, while the other driver would cause 1,4,6,7 cyl faults. I think anyways

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.