changed map and still problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2009, 05:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
changed map and still problem

had the advice to chang the map sensor because of chugging and surging. had already cleaned the egr, turbo and reset the kam. just got the sensor put in today and still doing the same damn thing. any advice? Thanks Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2009, 06:10 AM
Serving Our Country!

how are your fuel filters looking? I'm sure if you went through all the trouble of cleaning egr and the turbo that you probably already looked at these. So is your truck throwing any codes? Changing oil on a regular basis (preferably sooner than what the manual claims)
Old 10-24-2009, 04:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yeah fuel filters have 3 or 4 thousand km and engine oil and filter are under a thousand. the vanes in the turbo were not in bad shape at all, but now are perfect. when it is up to temp and running while travelling at normal accelleration it will drop all turbo power, but no rpm change and hear chugging through the intake, and i look at the exhaust and it dumps black smoke. don't have a code reader, but no check engine light comes on. maybe the vgt solonoid? i think they are fairly expensive though and don't want to buy one unless it is for sure the problem. kind of at a loss? Thanks for any help!
Old 10-24-2009, 06:30 PM
Powerstroke Techie

If it's blowing smoke and surging then it should have codes. It is pointless to try and diagnose the 6.0 without a good code reader.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ok i've got a friend with a code reader so i'll have him take a stab at it and then post up what ever we can find. Thanks
Old 10-30-2009, 01:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

took truck to dealer this morning and had diagnostic check done. no codes came up and the service tech told me it is probably the aftermarket chip that is causing the problem. he said when they malfunction it can cause the truck to act up, so he removed the unit and also told me the pcm and ficm had not been updated with the current flash program so i had those done at the same time. truck seems to run good, but not as much power without the chip on. hopefully all done with this problem!
Old 10-31-2009, 09:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thought the problem was solved, but still doing the same thing. surging and chugging air back through the intake, so obviously it wasn't the programmer that was at fault, there is something else causing this, now i have no idea how to go about diagnosing it. i don't want to keep changing parts that aren't the problem. anyone have any ideas, im all ears. thank you
Old 10-31-2009, 10:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Does make a difference when you unplug the VGT solenoid?
Old 10-31-2009, 02:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yeah if i unplug the vgt solenoid it defaults to open, i think open anyway. i tried driving it like that for a couple of blocks just to see and it drives like it has no boost until way up in rpms, and has a way different sound, no whistlea and a deep tone, but didn't do any of that funky stuff like chugging and surging, and as soon as i plug it back in you hear the whistle come back. This problem is intermittent, but happens every time im driving.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:11 AM
Powerstroke Techie

did your unison ring in your turbo move freely when you were done cleaning the turbo?
Do you have an aftermarket air intake?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.