Truck Won't Start!! :-( - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2009, 11:53 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy Truck Won't Start!! :-(

Ever since I bought my truck, an 07' F250 Harley,used, it seemed to take too long cranking before it would start. I took it to a dealer thinking the 100,000 mile warranty would cover it. Well, long story short, at first they said it was a bad battery, which I thought was ridiculous, and after changing the battery they said it was a damaged IPR sensor. The also told me warranty only covered the motor and not any sensors or anything, and that Ford would pay for half as a good will gesture. Anyway, paid almost 300 when everything was said and done. Well when I got my truck back it would
still crank too long before it would start. (I compare it to a previous 06' F250 I had stolen, so I know how long it should take.) Anyway, I decided I would keep using it like that, since I need it to drive to work everyday and couldn't
afford to just leave it at a shop and be truck-less.

Well yesterday, after leaving work, where it started as usual, I drove about 45 minutes on the highway and stoped at Wallmart to return a movie. I literally shut-off the engine for only a minute, while I left the movie, and came back out to go home. Well I was surprised to find that the engine would crank but would not start. The tank was almost full, I checked
all obvious relays and fuses but could not find anything wrong.

Does anybody have any idea of what could have changed after only a 45 minute drive and having shut down the engine for only a minute? Right now the truck sits at home until I can get someone to take a look at it. What
do you think? HPOP? Crank Sensor? Any ideas or things I should check? This is my first diesel so I'm trying to learn as much as possible, but still not nearly enough to troubleshoot something like this.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm pretty desparate. I appreciate your help, guys.

Julian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2009, 12:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Do you smell fuel? I am having the same problem with my '04 F350 6.0. the only difference if that smelled fuel for a couple of days before and when it quit I popped the hood to find fuel spraying out of the top of my fuel filter. Changed the filters tryed to start if and no dice.

When you find out what happened to yours it would be great if you could post the solution. By the way what is the IPR sensor?
Old 10-23-2009, 12:54 PM
Premium Member

first off to try stuff w/o a scanner. pull the fuel cap off (its the little plastic cap next to the plastic oil filter cap) have someone turn the key on and see if your pumping fuel.
next. if u can rig up a 5000 psi guage on a hydraulic hose pull off the IP sensor on the passenger side valve cover and get that thread fitting from any shop and hook your hose and guage to it. Crank the engine over like your going to start it. It should pump up to at least 1500 psi. try those 2 things if u can and see where it gets u. also you could have a FICM failure. which is Fuel Injector Control Module.

Last edited by Ricemiester; 10-23-2009 at 12:56 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 10-23-2009, 12:56 PM

Nope, no diesel smell. I changed both my diesel filters a few hundred miles ago and my oil and oil filter about 3,500 miles ago. IPR means Injector Pressure Regulator, so I guess it has some sort of sensor on there. Maybe a tech can help us both out. I'll be sure and post if anything new comes up.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to troid123
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCG View Post
(I compare it to a previous 06' F250 I had stolen, so I know how long it should take.)
What do you mean? You stole some one else's truck? wtf?
Old 10-23-2009, 02:54 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to no-tel-in
Quote:
Originally Posted by troid123 View Post
What do you mean? You stole some one else's truck? wtf?

I think he previously had an '06 that got stolen...
Old 10-23-2009, 07:17 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCG View Post
Ever since I bought my truck, an 07' F250 Harley,used, it seemed to take too long cranking before it would start. I took it to a dealer thinking the 100,000 mile warranty would cover it. Well, long story short, at first they said it was a bad battery, which I thought was ridiculous, and after changing the battery they said it was a damaged IPR sensor. The also told me warranty only covered the motor and not any sensors or anything, and that Ford would pay for half as a good will gesture. Anyway, paid almost 300 when everything was said and done. Well when I got my truck back it would
still crank too long before it would start.
Sounds like the early signs of an ICP system leak (I compare it to a previous 06' F250 I had stolen, so I know how long it should take.) Anyway, I decided I would keep using it like that, since I need it to drive to work everyday and couldn't
afford to just leave it at a shop and be truck-less.

Well yesterday, after leaving work, where it started as usual, I drove about 45 minutes on the highway and stoped at Wallmart to return a movie. I literally shut-off the engine for only a minute, while I left the movie, and came back out to go home. Well I was surprised to find that the engine would crank but would not start. Probably because it wasn't buidling enough ICP to start. The tank was almost full, I checked
all obvious relays and fuses but could not find anything wrong.

Does anybody have any idea of what could have changed after only a 45 minute drive and having shut down the engine for only a minute? The engine oil got warm and thin enough to leak enough ICP oil to the point where it wouldn't start. I bet you the truck will start if you leave it sitting overnight and attempt to start it the next morning. Right now the truck sits at home until I can get someone to take a look at it. What
do you think? HPOP? Crank Sensor? Any ideas or things I should check? This is my first diesel so I'm trying to learn as much as possible, but still not nearly enough to troubleshoot something like this.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm pretty desparate. I appreciate your help, guys.

Julian
This sounds like the good ole classic symptom of the failed STC fitting AND/OR the lower o-rings on the high pressure oil rail dummy plugs to me. I bet money that either/or fixes your truck by the sounds of the symptoms you describe. Can you fly your truck from Puerto Rico to Canada? I'll gladly fix your truck for you.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-chan68 View Post
This sounds like the good ole classic symptom of the failed STC fitting AND/OR the lower o-rings on the high pressure oil rail dummy plugs to me. I bet money that either/or fixes your truck by the sounds of the symptoms you describe. Can you fly your truck from Puerto Rico to Canada? I'll gladly fix your truck for you.
Where are these dummy plugs located? I am having similar situations, will not start when warm...

Thanks
Russell
Old 10-24-2009, 04:12 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomarunner View Post
Where are these dummy plugs located? I am having similar situations, will not start when warm...

Thanks
Russell
They are located on the high pressure oil rails. To access requires removal of the valve covers, and a 10mm allen key to remove.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:40 AM

Okay,

I wish I had read this during the weekend. I cranked the truck over on Saturday, but not enough to try to start it, since the batteries aren't at their peak, after repeatedly trying to start it on Thursday. The high pressure oil leak is what makes sense to me, due to the long cranking time I was experiencing before this. Anyway, yesterday I got the truck on a trailer and towed it, with my ol' trusty 1984 Chevy Duallie Gasser, to a mechanic. He plugged in a scanner and, in less than a minute, told me the FICM was bad. I'll replace it and hope it starts right up. What do you guys think??

troid123: That was funny, lol, hahaha... no-tel-in is right, I previously had an 06', and it was stolen FROM ME! jajajaja

I'll keep you guys posted on my truck's progress.

Thanks for all of the suggestions,
Julian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.