EGR Delete - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2009, 12:50 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR Delete

Man I wish I’d never sold my 7.3. I bought a 2005 6.0L about 6 months ago and just noticed recently I’m losing coolant. Looking from underneath it looks like it’s coming from around the back of the block between the heads. At first I thought it was the head gasket leaking since water was standing on a part of the head gasket that sticks out on the back corner, but I believe it’s actually coming from somewhere higher than that and just running down the edge of the gasket. It’s running down more on the passenger side, but it is running a little down the driver’s side. I’ve lost a gallon over the pass 3 months. I’ve not pulled anything with it since I bought it. I do drive it to work everyday, which is around 100 miles round trip each day. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it, but my fuel mileage went from 16 - 16.5 down to 14.5 - 15 within 1 or 2 fillups. I buy my fuel at one station and my drive habits didn't change. I did try to baby it to make it better, but doesn't seem to make any difference.

I’ve read several posts about the egr valve and cooler issues. If I’m understanding this correctly, the cooler gets clogged and restricts coolant flow that potentially can causes the head gaskets issues (I assume from overheating). The egr delete is supposed to eliminate this problem. Does that sound correct? If so, is there any DIY instructions on the delete?

Thanks for the help,
Jim

Last edited by jvest; 10-21-2009 at 04:39 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2009, 06:57 AM

Never mined! I just found the DIY instruction in the 6.0 Mod forum. I'll get this done this weekend. Does anyone know the part numbers on any gaskets, orings, etc... I'll need for this?

Thanks,
Jim
Old 10-25-2009, 06:08 PM

I'm not sure if anyone is looking at the thread, but I finished the EGR cooler delete this weekend. I did it a little different than the DIY instructions in the 6.0 mod forum. Instead of using the tube and o-ring flange off the cooler, I drove a 1" freeze plug in the port where the o-ring flange goes in and welded a tube at a 45 degree angle off the top of the heater core return tube next the alternator. I found at the local NAPA a 5/8" tube already with a the 45 degree bend that is used on Chrysler. I also reinstalled the EGR valve without welding. I though this would keep any codes from popping up. Since the EGR cooler port is now blocked under the intake, I did think it would hurt for the valve to open & close as it normally would. I put over a 100 miles on it today and it ran good with no leaks or fault codes.

Side Note: The cooler was not clogged (exhaust gas & coolant side), so hopefully no head gasket issues coming up. I think my coolant leak was coming from the short red hose between the block and cooler tube. The side that went on the cooler tube was loose and wet. You could easily spin the metal insert that retains the o-ring inside the hose. The other side of the hose was tight as well as both ends on the blue hose that came in the gasket kit. When I cut the metal band clamp and split the hose with a razor blade on the loose end, there was coolant between the hose and insert.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.