Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

6.0 E-350 Turbo making sucking sound

6K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  smuesse 
#1 ·
Hey. This is my first time posting and I hope someone can help. I have a 2004 E-350 6.0 with 246,000k When you first crank it up, it seems fine, after 15 seconds or so, it starts making a loud sucking sound from the turbo. When you accelerate it screams! It still runs ok with the exception of when it gets high into the RPM's say around 3000k, it looses all power and you have to let off of it and let it shift gears, then it is ok again. The sound seems to be coming from the top area of the turbo. Any ideas on what, and how I can check to see if I can find where the noise is comeing from?

#5 ·
Update on turbo sucking sound

I unplugged the wire harness on top of the turbo just to see what would happen. The noise is gone! Unfortunately so is my power! It has no pick up above 2500 rpm's So you have to let it get up to speed by easing through the gears, then it is ok on the highway untill you try to pass or speed up. I guess I will plug it back up and deal with the noise. Anyone know what these wires control?

#6 ·
The wires control the vanes in the exhaust housing. With it unplugged you won't produce any boost, it will be a dog and smoke like crazy.
It sounds like your original problem was that the vanes are sticking up. This is a fairly common problem with our turbo's, especially with that many miles. It needs to be taken apart and cleaned up. Here is a link on how it's done

Diesel Technician Society

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.