Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

What the heck is with this 6.0

985 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  TommyBoy#1 
#1 ·
Ok I was taking my brothers 05' in to get checked out because it has been smoking white on startup and also sometimes when it is warm. And I lookout the mirror and it is dumping out white smoke. I lost all power and it hardly idles. When i hit the throttle it spits and sputters and the white smoke turns to gray then black?? good thing tho he only has a couple hundred til the warranty is up! Any ideas just incase they try to jack us around? This is the first 6.0 in the family and nothing but friggin issues. I love my noisy 7.3!!!

#3 ·
I am no expert but I would say an egr issue or possibly a bad turbo. I am sure others will show up soon with more useful info.

#4 ·
Sounds like what happened when my EGR took a dump. If you smell coolant, then don't drive it or you could hydro-lock it and that is bad, bad, bad.

#5 ·
check for coolant around the degas res, my guess is headgaskets or EGR. hopefully not the latter.

#6 ·
i would have to agree with egr issues i would take off the egr valve only takes a few minutes and see how gunked up it is i usually see them stuck open you can usually clean it up with a pick and its good enough for a couple days the only other problem that ive seen alot is people go and buy the valve and in 2 weeks its gunked up again due to the egr cooler leaking believe me it gets messy and pricey

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.