Head Gaskets gave up the ghost - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2009, 09:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Head Gaskets gave up the ghost

Well - finally - after 199,400 miles - my head gaskets finally went. Well - have started to go regardless - I'm not pushing it - Headed to the shop this weekend.

Where do I go from here - Is there someone that I can buy a total package from for gaskets, ARP studs, all the washers, gaskets, and other stuff to give my mechanic? Stealth possibly?

Anything I should have done while the truck is dissassembled? I'm having a 4" downpipe installed and doing an EGR delete. Anything else?

Last edited by LHMissions; 10-14-2009 at 10:32 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2009, 03:38 PM

Wow!

Did your truck make it that long without issues?

If so, there's hope for me yet! haha
Old 10-14-2009, 05:26 PM

I had issues but they are factory head gaskets. I've replaced the HPOP, 2 injectors, thermostat (recently trying to diagnose the head gasket issue), 4 sets tires, all rotors, 1 caliber, both wheel bearings, starter, 3 alternators, 2 sets batteries, Unplugged the clogged EGR 50,000 miles ago, 2- tailgates - rear ended by a 26' Freightliner at 60mph! There is probably a few other things I cant think of right now. None the less - its a tough truck! When I haul or tow - I haul and tow heavy and for hundreds of miles at a time - I run a ministry that requires hundreds and thousands of miles in a weekend - all under load. The truck is a daily driver and I run it hard.
I run a Banks Six-gun for mileage and the occasional fun.
I'm blessed the truck is a good truck. Sure - issues like the rest. but a good truck.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What kind of mileage do you get with your Banks 6- gun, with trailor and without.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:19 PM
haters gonna hate 24/7.

i'd just say to do the exhaust, egr delete, head studs and while your in there, put on another oil cooler...... just as a precaution so you dont have any problems down the road.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:20 PM

I did Studs, HGs, had the heads decked, Had my EGR welded up, all new gaskets, oil cooler, glow plug harness', hot tanked the intake man, new injector rings, etc. $1498 wrenchin myself, i got my studs and black ONYX HGs from Adam @ FCDP for $675 shipped.. not sure if there still doing the package deal or not, i dont think ur going to find a complete kit for all new gaskets and everything but icould be wrong, i just went to dealer as needed for parts,
Old 10-23-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robman64 View Post
What kind of mileage do you get with your Banks 6- gun, with trailor and without.
I love the Banks - its not like the SCT with Innovative tunes! Its not a "powerhouse of tuning" - but it can hold its own very well.

Like I said - I like the Banks. My truck is a constant daily driver. I wanted more then I needed a tuner - but with 180,000 miles at time of install - I didnt want something that would trash an already well worked engine or trans. I went with the Banks - great pricing ($399 at Go Big Performance), installed it in my driveway and love it! Brought a big smile to my face almost immediatly! Got to get used to the de-fueling between shifts - throws you a little at first - but its not a bad thing really!

One of the strongest selling pioints for me was the switchability of additional power/torque. I dont have to shut the truck off and re-load a tune - I have stock & 5 available settings at my left fingertip! I like that.

Mileage - here you go:
Stock "around town" (I dont live in the city so city driving isnt an issue for me - for me its around town - beach area): 13/14mpg average
Banks "around town" Level 4/5: 15-17mpg average

Stock "highway" unloaded with shell on rear: 17-19mpg average
Banks Highway Level 4/5 with shell on rear: a pretty solid 22mpg (and yes - this is hand calculated mileage - the trip computer mileage thingy was actually reading 19mpg - so I did better then the truck thought)

Stock Highway loaded (loaded for me is shell on rear, load around 1000lbs under shell and 22' fully enclosed hauling trailer weighing roughly 8,000lbs at 60mpg for 350+ miles: 7-12mpg depending on terrain and weather (mountains verses flat, sunny and clear verses snow covered)

Banks Highway loaded - same characteristics - last trip 3 weeks ago 15.3mpg hand calculated. 12.1 on return trip home (with blown head gaskets)

Level 6 Banks, power brake, rev up till rear starts to spin, stomp and release brake - and smoke the rear while laying 75' of double track down Highway 50 to Annapolis while my doubting mechanic erupts in amazement and never doubts me again. 2 months later - tracks still there!

Banks isnt for everyone. If all you want is incredible power - there are other tuners on the market better suited. Banks doesnt puke large amounts of black smoke, isnt horsepower heavy or torque heavy - but for me - and this is my opinion - not asking for an argument here or to dissect the advantages of one tuner over another - it gets the job done well.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoker0560 View Post
, hot tanked the intake man,,
what is that?
Old 10-29-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHMissions View Post
what is that?
sorry for the late response, i just took the intake manifold into a machine shop, its a chemical cleaning. they throw engine parts or anything really and it cleans it down to the bare metal. my intake had at least a 1/8'' of buildup around the inside..it was nasty..i soaked it in greased lightning and hot water for an hour and then used two or more cans of brake clean on the thing and got ALOT of crap out of it...it was still dirty so i just paid the money to have it hot tanked, it was still bad enough that after a day in the tank the owner had to flush his tank out it was like 30 bucks but it looked like new when it was done
Old 10-29-2009, 07:08 PM

how long did it take you to do your headstuds?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.