Where to Start? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2009, 12:23 AM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Fireman5606
Question Where to Start?

Ok I know this seems to be a popular topic lately, but I need to know where to start. I have a 2003 F-350 with 96,000 miles (apparently the magic #) and for almost 2 weeks now it has been running rough until it reaches about 160* ECT. Once it gets warmed up it runs like a champ. The fuel mileage hasn't changed, and power is normal once it is warmed up. I have read everything from needing to get the ECU reflashed, to I need to replace the FICM. My extended warranty died about 3 months ago, and I am past the 5 year cut off so everything is coming out of pocket and I really don't want to start throwing $800 parts at it without somewhere to start. There are no codes new or old, no CEL on, new motorcraft fuel filters, new motorcraft oil filter and oil, and I have gotten fuel at the same place since the truck was new. I haven't spent much time working on 6.0's since I have had almost no trouble out of mine since new, but I know gas engines will throw a code most of the time with a misfire on a cylinder and that is what has me stumped. The truck computer is not giving me anywhere to start, so I am looking for experience with this problem. What is the likely culprit and where should I start spending my lifes savings? I have been reading other posts for over 3 hours now and haven't found an answer, (Forgive me if I overlooked it). Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2009, 12:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

when did you change your oil? I'm kind of in the same boat and I just changed my oil with 15x40 and right after that it started really hard and ran like crap till it warmed up. Temps have dropped to the mid 40's and I was told to change the oil to 5x40 and it should take care of the starting problems.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:37 AM
Emergency Services

I changed the oil about a month ago. I won't tell you not to try 5-40, but I have ran 15-40 year round since mine was new and have had no problems until now. The temps here hardly ever get below 15-20* though. Mine starts fine just runs like crap til it gets warmed up. I dunno where to strat and I dont have several grand lying around to throw parts til I get it figured out.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:14 AM
Serving Our Country!

getting the latest flash from ford would definitely be the best place to start if you haven't done it already. should be under $100 to do this and doesn't take long
Old 10-15-2009, 06:40 PM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxusmc View Post
getting the latest flash from ford would definitely be the best place to start if you haven't done it already. should be under $100 to do this and doesn't take long
Well I don't have the latest flash I don't think, but I have never had this problem in the 5 winters before now so why would the flash make any difference? Unless the computer can forget how to run in cold weather? I don't know......could be I guess because it has always had a high idle in colder weather until this year it doesn't. I am thinking it may be time to trade for a gas burner........
Old 10-15-2009, 11:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Try checking compression for a start and take a look at my infomercial post, a few good inexspensive tests you can do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.