Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Android type OBDII scan tool

11K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Corey@CNCFAB 
#1 ·
I have an old mac mentor scanner , it only goes up to 2003.
I have a 2006 F250 with a 6.0 I hooked it up and the oil temp was reading 225-259 which made me think
I needed an oil cooler. I decided to have someone hook a newer scanner up to it and the oil temp shows 190
thankfully I hadn't put an oil cooler in yet.
Looking for an android adapter thingy that will show live data and reset CEL and ABS code lights.
Any suggestions and have you used it yourself?

#2 ·
There is an ELM327 Bluetooth adapter that will connect to an android device using the Torque Pro app, it is pretty useful and can read codes and clear them, but I'm not sure they will clear abs codes though.

This guy would probably more help to you on the subject.... @djmaguire

#3 ·
...This guy would probably more help to you on the subject.... @djmaguire
Hey rs18! The ABS question is what jumped out at me, too. I've never had a need for ABS codes, so it's not something that I know.

Looking at it, it seems that the adapters can do it but whether or not the software can is the issue.

I use OBDLink LX and Torque. Works great, but no ABS. But the ForScan app or ScanXL software should work fine to pull and codes through my port reader.

Before anyone concludes that any ELM327 reader will work, keep in mind that some are crap. ...but I'd guess that most would work.

#5 · (Edited)
Good info there, @Rattlesnake18. My "most" comment may be a bit optimistic. What I can say is that I've been very happy with my port reader. I don't have the power issues with it that some folks with the cheaper readers have.

We might want to get @Qholic in on this too. ...and @G8orFord.

Reactions: Rattlesnake18
#10 ·
I just bought a launch 129p for $240 it's a great little scan tool.
They also make an android based tool with touch screen and WiFi for $500 ish.

Reactions: Rattlesnake18
#11 ·
I use the OBD link LX as well. Torque for the PIDs and Car Gauge Pro for DTCs and Buzz & CCT tests.

#12 ·
Like it has been stated earlier, most ELM327 compatible adapters will "work", but as a rule, they are much slower to process the data, do not have sleep modes and offer very little BT security.

I have both a OBDLink MX and a PLX Kiwi2 (my version is no longer available, replaced by the Kiwi2+). Both are relatively expensive adaptors, but the OBDLink MX is by far the faster of the two. It's at least twice as fast on PID updates. I am currently using the Kiwi2 and dealing with its deficiencies because it allows me to use the PLX iMFD adapter to read my external sensors with Torque and DashCommand.

The main difference between the MX and the LX (besides price) is that the MX can read the GM SW-CAN & Ford MS-CAN protocols in addition to the standard OBDII stuff.

While I have never used the functionality, the ScanXL software (PC based) that you can package with the MX and LX is supposed to read and clear ABS and SRS codes, but I would verify that with the Scantool.net folks before purchase. I packaged the MX, ScanXL Standard and the Ford Diagnostics add-on when I bought mine and it was just under $300.

What I really like about the MX is it's just plug it in and forget about it. It shuts down to sleep mode when the ignition is off and starts up automatically when you turn it on. My Kiwi2 does not do this and it's my biggest gripe about it. Even over the slower update speeds. If the ignition is off for more than 5 minutes, I have to turn the adapter on manually.

A lot of people use the cheap adapters and appear happy with them, but I know the OBDLink stuff is quality and for my money, it was worth it.

Reactions: Corey@CNCFAB
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.