Any diesel tech's care to chime in? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2009, 02:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Any diesel tech's care to chime in?

I put my 2006 6.0L in the shop yesterday for 2 problems. Small oil leak and extended crank time after sitting 12 hrs or more.

Here's the verdict.
2 small oil leaks found. 1 small leak at the O ring at the crankshaft sensor and 1 small oil leak at the cam sensor. Both o rings replaced and repaired under warranty.

Air leak found at high pressure oil pump. Installed some sort of bracket kit (don't have paper with me with the exact name). Repaired under warranty. Deductible cost $100.00

Lots of trash found in the fuel system and injectors needed cleaning and throttle body needed cleaning. I gave my permission to get this done b/c I know that the shops don't really make much money (or the diesel techs) on warranty work. (I did the same thing earlier this year when I had my oil cooler replaced under warranty, but I asked them to service my tranny for me. I could have done it myself).
Cost = $170.00

So, $278.00 later I will be keeping a real close eye on my rig to see if she's running better and if she is cranking like she ought to be.

Thoughts, opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2009, 02:35 PM

Ya let me know, I have extended cranking time, but its random. I'm curious, and I wonder how they check for leaks in the High pressure oil system
Old 10-13-2009, 03:23 PM
Serving Our Country!

bracket kit was probably the sct kit, there's posts on it in here about it, I'm not that familiar with it myself. 100 isn't bad for them to do that under warranty IMO. As you may have noticed some of the stuff really isn't easy to get to in the 6.0 and them supplying the parts...even better. Could it have costed less to do it yourself? sure, but you didn't have to so even better.

As far as the fuel system, have you been changing your fuel filters on time? Have you ran any biodiesel previously? Are you buying motorcraft filters? And if you're doing all that..then maybe I should take my truck in as well...because I'd had to see what my fuel system looks like if so much stuff is getting past even the main filter.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:28 PM
Serving Our Country!

like i posted in a previous thread there is a flash for the 6.0 for the injectors i think and it fixed my stepdads starting problem.. just remember ford gives a 3-5 second crank time before lighting up. may not sound like very long but it feels longer then it is
Old 10-13-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxusmc View Post
bracket kit was probably the sct kit, there's posts on it in here about it, I'm not that familiar with it myself. 100 isn't bad for them to do that under warranty IMO. As you may have noticed some of the stuff really isn't easy to get to in the 6.0 and them supplying the parts...even better. Could it have costed less to do it yourself? sure, but you didn't have to so even better.

As far as the fuel system, have you been changing your fuel filters on time? Have you ran any biodiesel previously? Are you buying motorcraft filters? And if you're doing all that..then maybe I should take my truck in as well...because I'd had to see what my fuel system looks like if so much stuff is getting past even the main filter.
Yes, only Motorcraft filters and I've never ran biodiesel. For the last 3-4 months I've been adding some 2 stroke tc-w3 oil to the fuel tank at a ratio of 1 oz per 1 gallon of diesel.

That may have had absolutely NOTHING to do with my problem, but the 2 stroke oil will NEVER see my tank again. I will ONLY add stanadyne, diesel Kleen, or some home brew stuff made here locally by the company who supplies all the oil and lubricants for all of our fire trucks for the Fire Dept I work for. I may not add anything at all.

I changed both of my fuel filters less than 4k miles ago and I told them that. They said with 93k miles, its probably long been there. So I may just cough up the money and go ahead the change the filters since I just rec'd the full fuel system cleaning.

I will report any findings after the cleaning. i.e. performance, throttle response, etc.

Any other thoughts?
Old 10-13-2009, 04:39 PM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I just think that it is really cool that you let the techs do the extra stuff to put a lil more coin in there pocket. It says a lot about your character. Most people on here just whine about how the tech are ripping them off.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:52 PM
Serving Our Country!

ha, techs should be loving me then. I got so irritated when my tie-rod literally fell apart..I let them charge me 600 for the replacement and their work. but that wasn't necessarily a diesel tech.

As far as changing your filters again...If those techs said they grabbed that much buildup in your fuel system, whose to say some of that didn't come the the tank itself and get caught in your frame fuel filter at least. I'd recommend changing both of them, I mean its like $80 for everything and it could save you some headaches in the future. Just my .02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.