Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Cranks, Slow to Start

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  7.3 powerchoke 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 2004.25 Ford F-250 6.0 Power Stroke that has become difficult to start (appox. 30 seconds or so) when cold, but idles great and runs well. If you turn it off and immediately start it, the crank time is about 5 to 10 seconds. Work performed about 3 weeks prior to this hard start condition was EGR delete kit with up-pipe, new heads, ARP head stud set, Ford factory intake gaskets, head gaskets, exhaust gaskets, oil cooler, turbo hardware/ O-ring kit, and installed a coolant filtration system. Also new fuel filters and oil change with 2RevX and filter was performed.

When I removed the oil filter and pressed down on the anti-drain valve while cranking the engine, it took approx. 10 seconds to fill the canister. I connected a scan tool and with KOEO all FICM voltage values were good, ICP readings were 0.27 v and 18.1 psi and IPR was 15 psi. When I started cranking, the ICP pressure climbed slowly for about 30 seconds and reached 120 psi and then suddenly the engine started with ICP pressure at 1450 psi and IPR was at 34%. After letting the engine idle was a short while, all FICM values were still good, RPM was at 610, ICR values were 1.19 v and 805 psi, IPR was at 30%. No Diagnostic Codes have been set.

I have read a lot of posts about Hard/No Start conditions but the scan tool information does not seem to indicate whether the problem is with the LPOP, HPOP, or high pressure oil leak. The most difficult diagnostic information for me to understand was the ICP pressure suddenly jumping from 120 psi to 1450 psi. I thought the oil pressure should rise progressively and engine would start at approx. 550 psi when injectors were activated.

Does this diagnostic information indicate a particular component that may be malfunctioning? Do I need to collect more diagnostic information to help determine what the problem is? I would appreciate any helpful suggestions that more experienced diesel mechanics may be willing to share with me.

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice that you can provide, Joe

See less See more
#3 ·
sounds like the HPOP could be worn out.. 30% IPR at idle is really high so that pump is struggling to work... also like stated before 120 psi cranking ICP is not gonna cut it,, which to me seems like another indicator that your pump could be bad.. you should see if the ICP is low at WOT and what the IPR looks like... That's where I would start

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.