Head Gasket Problem?? or Not?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2009, 04:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Head Gasket Problem?? or Not??

My truck is totally stock and just turned 100K about 3 months ago and is now up to 105K. The truck was given the once over by Ford at 98K other than two injectors. I am having no noticable issues..starts fine, power fine, runs smooth, no smoke since injector change, fuel mileage fine etc. Two weeks ago I was pulling a boat in traffic, light boat.. total weight under 3K pounds. I was in heavy traffic, flat terrain (central florida) and it was hot. I noticed the smell of antifreeze in the air, checked my guages (stock) and everything was in the middle. No steam coming out of the engine or anything like that but I felt like I needed to check..once I got out of traffic..no smell so I just moved on. Finished towing the boat another hour, then drove home another two hours, nothing out of the ordinary.

Next day I notice a strange sound from the engine compartment..like someone hitting a plastic jug. I noticed the Degas bottle was near empty so I filled it with distilled water and moved on..no sound.

Further inspection and I saw a white residue on the passenger side valve cover that hasn't been there, not a huge amount but some (don't know what that is, I keep things clean though)

With it having 100K I was going to start making some changes to make it a bit more bullet proof starting with the EGR valve delete treatment from BDPower. I'm wondering if I need to attack somewhere else now.

Is this a headgasket problem developing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2009, 04:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sounds like maybe the heater control valve or possiobly hose clamps is/are leaking. it is on the heater hose over the valve cover. Hope this is it! the other things it could be are scarry, lol
Old 10-12-2009, 06:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Ive got a 05 and just did the same thing, I was stacking edge juice and sct and notice a smell of antifreeze. Im going to delete the egr cooler wednesday. My old 04 did the same friggen thing and it ended up being a cracked egr cooler. My guess is your losing ur water through the cap on the degas bottle due to the exhaust leaking through the cooler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.