I'm new to forum and diesels..... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2007, 07:22 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm new to forum and diesels.....

It Seems like alot of people here really have their stuff together and I am Ignorant to the world of diesels. Bear with me though, I am trying to learn..

I recently (Last Friday) bought my 2005 king ranch F-250 and LOVE IT!!! It is my dream ride and I am finally at a place in my life where I can afford it! Anyway, she is bone stock except for Wheels and tires.

Here is the problem, When I go out to the truck first thing in the morning to start it, it runs terrible, but doesn't stall. It takes 2-3 miles of Low power and revving out before shifts before she acts right. I've read about cold starts, but I live in south Georgia, is this cold enough to cause the same thing northerners experience on cold days? Every other start for the rest of the day seems just fine, even if it has sat for 4-5 hours.

If I start it in the morning and let it sit for 5-10 minutes before I get going it is fine.

I did a search and it seems everyone else experiencing this is in a much colder climate than I am.

Thanks for any help...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2007, 07:26 PM
im fat and ugly

cant say i have experienced that but to the gang
Old 03-06-2007, 08:11 PM

I was hoping it was a little different than all of the others I had read about but at the same time was looking for an easy answer. I forgot to mention it has 60K on the odometer. Should I take it into ford for waranty work or is this something that would not be covered?
Old 03-06-2007, 08:20 PM
The Fat Mod

Welcome to the site first off. Ford has some new flashes that is supposed to help with the cold start problems. Might be something to try. Also, have you tried plugging it in at night so that everything is warm in the morning?
Old 03-06-2007, 08:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

to the fourm with 3633
Old 03-06-2007, 08:30 PM

I went to college in Tifton and when my glow plug relay went out it would have a real hard start issue in the winter. Mine was 7.3 though. Might be as simple as that.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:34 PM
one day at a time

I live in Iowa and it sounds like you've got normal ole' cold morning starts to me... But this is Iowa and I expect that. What kind of temp. do you have there recently in the morning? I'd take it to your dealership and see if they have any re-flashes to hook you up with. I've heard the 6'er was built with novice diesel owners in mind, that you could start it up in the morning and take off, but IMO its still better to let her warm up for at least 5 minutes or so before taking off for the day. Hope this helps man. And.... to the best powerstroke site there is!!!
Old 03-06-2007, 08:35 PM

By the way and what part of South GA you from.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:55 PM

I'm living in Valdosta, Georgia currently. We usually dont dip below freezing at night this time of year, low 40's usually. I didn't think this would call for plugging up a block heater.

It starts as easily as if it were warm, it just runs poorly until it begins to warm up a little. I will call the dealership tommorrow and see about a reflash.

I'm a firm believer in starting my vehicles and letting things circulate for 1 or 2 minutes before taking off, But the diesel just sounds like it's having a hard time to me, and the one time I did leave shortly after startup, even the shifting was weird. It would shift around 3000 rpms while accellerating slowly, like the tranny was hung up, but 2-3 miles later she is a dream. I suppose that wasn't made clear in my first post.

Thanks for the welcomes!!! and the quick responses!
Old 03-19-2007, 09:34 AM

Just wanted to let everyone know what fixed my truck. I took it into the dealership and got my PCM, FICM, and TCM updated also had my EGR valve checked out, when they pulled it, it was 100% blocked with black gunk at 61K. That and it turns out that my battery opposite of the airbox has really low cold cranking amps and these trucks dont like to scrounge for power immeadiately after cranking. After telling me about the battery, he pointed to his corner of the workshop and told me there was a like new exide battery that could dissapear and no one would notice!!! Furthermore, I didn't even pay the diesel deductable! They said my problems were emissions related and were covered! I paid $0 and got a free battery! My best experience at a dealership ever!!!

Bill Jarrett Ford in Avon Park FL!!! If you live close, use them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.