06 Ford F250. Will not start. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2009, 04:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy 06 Ford F250. Will not start.

First time post. Will try to be thorough. I need help. So does the Ford dealer.
Ok this has been going on about a month or longer. Start the truck in the morning and run in about a hour or longer. Stop at a gas station and turn off engine to get gas and then will not start. Does it not everytime but is getting more frequent all the time. Take it to Ford dealer for repair and they find nothing. Two weeks later does it again and back to Ford dealer. Replace some part like ICP or ITP controller or something. Said it was fixed. Not fixed at all, still will not start after it gets hot and it is turned off. It is more frequent now. Does it quite often after the truck has been driven for awhile I believe at least and hour. Once turned off it will not restart unless and hour has at least past. Will always restart if you wait long enough but magic number is at least an hour. Please help! Ford dealer is no help. Really nice guys but they are at a loss on what to do. Replaced a part last time because I insisted they find something. I have to basically leave my truck running all day long because if you turn it off it will not start unless you are prepared to wait at least an hour for restart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2009, 05:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Take it to another dealer.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:51 PM

You probably have a leak in your high pressure oil system. It'll be internal, so you aren't going to see anything in the driveway. Look at my thread "missing and sometimes won't start". Read it all and you will then know all about your problem and how to fix it. Let me know if you need more help.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:54 PM

Obviously the dealer is not experienced with 6.0s. You have a high pressure oil leak. It could be standpipe O-rings, oil rail plug O-rings, injector O-rings, or the fitting on the high pressure oil pump. I'm not sure if the 06 had the STC fitting at the pump but they were a common problem on 6.0s. Tell the dealer to look up the air test for the high pressure oil system. You energize the IPR valve and put air pressure to the ICP sensor hole an you may be able to find the leaking source if it's not too small.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:18 PM

When I did my 06, it had the STC fitting on there, but it had the metal support bracket upgrade. I went ahead and changed it to the newest style solid piece connector, but my leak was on the dummy plug O rings under the valve covers. I would do the driver's side first. Takes about 2 hours to tear it down and put it back together. The dummy plug O ring is replaced by replacing the entire dummy plug now. It's about $15 and just screws in.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:36 PM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via AIM to zachs04250
ok dont want to step on toes but today on the way home had the same issue, turned on yesterday fine and tower my 5th wheel flawlessley, today wont even start, put two new batteries in and just keeps turning over and at times it wants to kick but nothing i was thinking the same issue as above
Old 10-11-2009, 06:49 PM
Serving Our Country!

and a side note noticed posibly oil in the coolant resovor and looks like is foamy
Old 10-11-2009, 07:03 PM

I'm not sure about your issue. The reason the 6.0 won't start warm with a high pressure oil leak is because the oil thins down when it gets warm, just like putting syrup in the microwave. There are 2 high pressure oil rails. One under each valve cover, that run the length of the head. Oil is fed into the rails from a standpipe that connects to a branch tube. That branch tube connects to the high pressure oil pump located under the turbo inside the crankcase. Since the rails are made universal to fit either side of the engine, there is a dummy plug that seals the hole off in the rail, that normaly the standpipe would go to (if used on the other side). The dummy plugs have 2 small O rings on them about the size of a dime. When these O rings go bad, oil leaks out of the rail under the valve cover. It goes back into the system, so there's not really any harm done, other than your truck won't start. The rail has to have 500 psi in order to force the plunger down in the injectors. When the oil is warm and thinner, it leaks out too fast through the gap that the O ring is supposed to be sealing. The high pressure oil pump can't keep up with the leak in order to get the 500 psi, which in turn causes your injectors to not fire. Once the truck cools down, the oil thickens up and doesn't seep out as fast because it's more dense, which allows you to get that 500 psi needed to fire it up. Think of it like this, if you stab a hole in a plastic cereal bowl with a screwdriver and pour cold pancake syrup into it, it's going to barely seep out. Now, heat that bottle of syrup up in the microwave and pour it into the bowl. It will run out really fast. This is what your oil is doing in those rails if you have bad O rings on your dummy plug.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:26 PM
Serving Our Country!

ok i understand the viscosity deal. i just cant figure out why my truck wont start, dont understand why one day it fires right up and tows fine and the next day , cold well as cold as arizona gets, wont fire up
Old 10-11-2009, 07:37 PM

Have you cleaned your terminals and battery posts? Sometimes they'll crank just fine and you'll eliminate that as a possibility, but if you're not making a good connection you won't be sending the right amount of voltage to your PCM which is trying to tell other components what to do, etc. It'll crank fine and even crank the batteries dead, but you could still not have a good enough connection to send the voltage. Other than that, I would say your issue is more than likely electrical. ICP, FICM, wiring harness issue, etc. Have you had it scanned yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.