Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Abnormally warm coolant, very high egt's and turbo cutting out while towing??

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  foglybon 
#1 ·
Alright today I got a load of scrap around to haul in today. With my gooseneck trailer and all the scrap on it they both weighed around 7500 lbs or so. Not very heavy. I get to goin down the road maybe 5 or so miles....and my turbo starts cuttin in and out when it shifts into overdrive, did this on and off for a couple miles and then stops. I think aww crap my turbo is sticking again....so I keep goin, figuring that it would even out. At this point I really keep a close eye on my gauges just to make sure all is ok (I have an edge insight digital gauge monitor) I noticed that my coolant temp kept around 203-209 and didnt ever drop lower, normally its in the low to mid 190's. My Engine oil temp was bouncin around 208-214, which I never see it over around 205. My egt's were what alarmed me the most. Driving at 55 on flat ground not laboring at all in overdrive my egts were at almost 1100. For these conditions they should be around 6-700 max normally. The weather is cool around 55 degrees, so the truck should not be running this hot. At this point I give up and limp back home. I pop the hood and I have coolant all over from where it boiled outta the degas bottle. The bottle is darn near empty, I just filled it back up and it took almost a gallon. The bottle was to the full line when I left this mornin (I put in about an 1/8 of a gallon this mornin, due to some boiling out the last time I was out railing on the truck hard....which is normal from what I can tell....it always has done that so I wasnt concerned). So in a matter of 15 or so miles it boiled out a gallon of coolant. This truck has had a new oil cooler, egr cooler, and turbo replaced about a year ago and maybe 10,000 miles has been put on it since (I dont drive the truck a whole lot) the truck is an 05 with 57,000 miles on it, 4x4 auto trans, and still under warranty I think. There is no white smoke, but it does seem to be lacking in power a bit, and the injector clatter seems to surge up and down if u listen real close. All that is done engine mod wise is just straight pipe exhaust, now power adders or anything, basically bone stock. There has been stuff done in the past but not now, so dont jump my bones. Im lettin the truck cool down right now, and im gonna head out and do a close inspection to see if I find anything else. I figure its one of 3 things. Turbo vanes sticking again, egr cooler going again, or head gaskets, or ????:doh::confused: If anyone has any ideas id love to hear em.

Thanks!!!!!:thumb::icon_ford:

See less See more
#4 ·
Have you got the new coolant level sticker? Your high level mark should be the factory labeled min. mark. Take the cap to the dealer and have it pressure checked because after it has puked a couple of times the cap can go bad as mine did and will puke all the time and it shouldn't puke at all unless the degas bottle is over filled when you are running it under load. If you have no oil in the degas bottle you are lucky, because that means lots of potential bad news.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.