Weird-Leaks Fuel after Hauling heavy load - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2009, 04:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Weird-Leaks Fuel after Hauling heavy load

I noticed that my truck leaks fuel after hauling a heavy load down the highway 70 mph. It appears to be running down the back side of the block an dripping on the ground on the passenger side by the front leaf spring by the oil pan. I'm 98% sure it's not engine oil because everything is dry around the oil pan. Then the leak stops after a couple of days normal driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2009, 04:57 AM
<-Day Of Fail now SOLD

Are you sure it fuel? Make sure you get a good smell next time. Sorry I'm not much help.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

There is a 6mm hex head fuel rail plug on the rear of each cylinder head. They have O-rings on them and I have seen a few blow but they leak constantly most of the time.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:14 PM
Other vehicle is an F250

What are you driving? My 2001 7.3 leaks oil from the turbo pedestal when I get on it hard. Leaves a small puddle of oil in the driveway and then "heals" when I take it easy. I already have the o-ring kit ready for the replacement. Look down in your valley with a flashlight. I have been told that if there is oil in the front of the valley it is probably your HPOP. If it is in the rear of the valley only, then it is most likely your pedestal.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

There are a number of places in the valley you could be getting fuel or oil or both leaking. Why it shows up after a long run or pulling a load is it probably is a hair line cut in an o-ring. When engine is cold or running low speeds the pressures and viscosity are low enough that a good seal isd being made.
The longer you run the hotter it gets and thins out also the pressures of both fuel and oil are higher.

The best way to check is clean up the valley so you have a good clean test surface and then put some ultraviolt test dye in the oil and fuel tank.
The test kits are avaiable from most parts houses.

I like to jack up the front of the truck so it will drain better. Put a large pan wider than the engine or spread oil dry underneath a thick layer cause yer gonna make a mess. I then take a hand pump garden type sprayer and put a gal of diesel, then pump up and spray the worst of the buil-up away. I then use some brake clean to wash the rest off and dry things up a bit.

Dealers choice as to which to test first or both at same time. I prefer one at a time. Run it till it gets good and hot and check with the UV light and glasses. All available from most parts houses. Rinse and repeat untill ya find it.

Good luck.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Smile THANKS

THANKS TO ALL! I'll gettit DONE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.