6.0L Engine Oil Overheat? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2009, 07:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0L Engine Oil Overheat?

I'm posting for a friend at work. He has a superb and spotless 2004 F350 6.0L 4x4 with Banks Exhaust, Banks 6 Gun Tuner/PDA and Banks Intake. The truck is "babied" and is perfectly maintained. He's an older gentleman who does not hot rod the truck. He claims his tuner is to help with towing and economy. I will admit he does drive slooooowwww when I'm behind him.

Last week he was on vacation and was pulling his camper in the Smokey Mountains (were from Indiana). He claims his oil temp got up to 215 which concerned him. His trans temps were in the normal range as was coolant temps.

He's looking to install an aux oil cooler. Is this possible or are they available? My thoughts are that his OEM oil cooler is the problem. But he won't listen to that since his truck is in such great shape. He's under the impression that if you don't abuse your truck...the OEM parts can't be the problem. I'm under the impression that since he's made this trip before with no issues...then something has changed and quit working.

Last edited by neil; 10-08-2009 at 07:20 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2009, 08:16 AM

Whats his address, I'll send him a box full of tadered 6.0 head bolts if he thinks all OEM parts is good stuff, lol.

What was the coolant temps in relation to oil temp?, should be within 25 degrees but I would suspect a restriction if it is consistantly more than 15 degrees.

bulletproofdiesel.com makes an external oil cooler kit with bypass filtration,. I would highly advise he rid himself of the stock EGR cooler as well.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:42 AM

I told him about the bulletproof setup already. But he's of the mindset he can install an aux cooler up by the radiator...much like a tranny cooler Summit Racing sells for transmissions. I said I doubted that...and I got the "you don't know what your talking about" look. I tend to feel like he needs a new OEM cooler because his is clogged or whatever. I say this because he's not had the problem before under the same circumstances. Something has changed.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:26 PM

Well hows he going to get the oil from the stock oil cooler to the aux. cooler? I spose he could drill and tap the oil filter housing, install a barbed nipple then use some 50 cent hose clamps and trans cooler line to the aux. cooler-I hear banjo's, I swear! lol!

Try to explain to him that if the oil cooler is plugged, it's not the oil passages that are plugged, its the coolant passages and his EGR cooler is in mortal danger as are his head bolts.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil View Post
He's under the impression that if you don't abuse your truck...the OEM parts can't be the problem.
I can tell you first hand OEM parts are a big problem. I used to think the same way as your freind. I bought my truck new and kept it bone stock when I had 70,000 miles on it and it was 58 days past warranty I was pulling a 9000lb fifth wheel camper and started smelling that sweet antifreeze. the oil cooler was clogged, the egr cooler was leaking, and blew a head gasket. After doing some research I quickly learned this is a common problem with the 6.0. My buddy who is a ford diesel tech told me to plug and weld up both ends of the egr cooler, replace the oil cooler, add a coolant filter, stud the heads, put on a 4" exhaust without kitty , and "drive like you stole it"
Old 10-09-2009, 04:26 AM

Thanks for the input. You guys pointed out my concerns and now I feel better knowing I told him correct. I'll try to talk some sense into him as best I can.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:18 AM

All the above is true assumeing of course that it isn't just a bad sensor. You might try removeing the sensor and srew in a mechanical gauge the see if the actual oil temp is really that hot.
I say this because we have one that thinks it's oil temp is 56,000 deg. (not a typo).
Testing showed it was actually normal. Replaced the sensor and all was ok.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:57 AM

DELO 400 could handle that...
Old 10-09-2009, 05:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

same issue

I just got done dealing with Ford TODAY over this same issue! My 05' 6.0 melted down while towing my 37' 5th wheel. The dealer said the oil cooler was plugged, that in-turn caused the egr cooler to fail. It was JUST under warranty (93,000!!). I had to fight with the powers that be to get it fixed. A complete new 6.0 is on its way! Too bad they couldn't retro fit a 7.3 instead!!!
Old 07-21-2012, 09:04 PM

better

Better do what I did before they install the motor or you maybe doing this again soon ! Have them install a B/P/D kit before the engine goes in. Very easy to do when the motor is right in front of you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.