EGR/Turbo cleaning question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2009, 05:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR/Turbo cleaning question

I've got an 04 F350 6.0 w/114,000mi on it. I just bought it last week. It was a former 1 owner work truck, so I figure it's been ran pretty good.

I'm planning on cleaning the EGR valve and the Turbo. I have read plenty of write-ups on both (including the TSB from International) and feel pretty comfortable doing it. I have always done my own maintenance/repairs on my trucks but this is my first diesel.

so my question is, I've read some write ups that talk about having codes and diagnostics ran after you clean the EGR and Turbo, and some that don't even mention them. I plan on disconnecting both batteries while doing the work because of the EGR being electronically controlled, when I reconnect them won't the computer self check and recalibrate anyway because of the loss of power?

Are the computer diagnostics a must?

and can I get the turbo O-ring from the ford dealer? if not does anybody know where I can get one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2009, 05:31 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You can get a kit from the dealer that will give you all of the stuff to reinstall the turbo. Its only a few bucks. and if you disconect the batterys then you should be fine with the computer. good luck man the jobs are very easy for a drive way jobs.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:31 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to 03f250stroke
I never messed with cleaning the turbo. it doesnt look hard but i have no problems with it so im not fixing what isnt broke.

as far as cleaning the egr valve, you just take the 2 bolts out and pry it out of there. its going to take a little bit especially if it hasnt been removed or cleaned in a while.

disconnecting the batteries will be fine. I never go back to the dealer for any reflashes or anything like that.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:55 AM
Premium Member

I have read the write ups on EGR cleaning. Everything went well, I guess. Cleared the computer, and the code and CEL came on again two days later. Is EGR valve replacement the next step?
Old 10-13-2009, 08:40 AM
Serving Our Country!

that or deletion. but as far as the code is concerned, if its like most EGR's, you usually have to drive 70-100 miles before the code resets. After that, I would say the EGR is shot if it still throwing a code at you.

and as far as the turbo is concerned, its very good preventive maintenance to just take it apart and clean it once in awhile since its a VGT. Often times 1 or 2 of the vanes get stuck and all you notice is a little bit of hestitation before it seizes up. There's actually a great write-up for cleaning turbos

Diesel Technician Society

I just saw this today, and it actually breaks it down Big Purple Dinosaur Style for you.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:55 PM
Premium Member

I drove about 400 miles after the CEL came back on. So you are saying that it should have cleared itself by then? Also, the code is 0460 which says excessive flow and/or defective fuel level sensor. The fuel sensor problem is supposed to show a flucuating fuel guage and that is not happening. In a sticky in the tech section it lists the need for a reprogram if these codes appear. Just bought the truck so how do I know if the reprogram happened? Is the reprogram mandatory like a recall or does the dealer charge for this?

Thanks for the help. I plan on a delete at some point, but paid cash for the rig, so I need to recoup first.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:00 PM
Serving Our Country!

dealer usually charges hourly rate to do the reprogram, or flash as we call it. If you already have 400 miles, I hate to say it, but the EGR is a total loss. Luckily it sounds like its probably stuck in the closed position (if stuck at all) since you're not experiencing other problems like high coolant temps or high exhaust gas temps (or are you?)
Old 10-13-2009, 01:04 PM
Serving Our Country!

also, if you search the forum for "EGR delete" there a very good writeups on how to do it yourself for $10 if you have the time and know how to weld.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:51 PM
Premium Member

I can weld, but that looks like some pretty serious fabbing. I would not consider myself that talented.

And no, no other problems. The truck runs pretty cool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.