Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

No Start No Codes 05 PSD

1K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  BillC1009 
#1 ·
AAAARgh! Ok, I have a 2005 6.0 POS PSD that is currently sitting in my driveway in a no start condition. Here's the history:
The truck was working great up until a couple of weeks ago. We pulled the 5th wheel on a long trip and after getting home, parked it in the driveway. The next day the truck wouldn't start. I immediately suspected the FICM, and ordered new guts for a rebuild. Those came in, I rebuilt the FICM, installed it, and it started right up. Next day, no start again. I suspected I may have jacked something up, checked all the connectors, etc, but found nothing. Finally got a code reader and pulled a low ICP pressure code. I replaced the ICP and boom, started right up. The truck ran great for 2 weeks, and then this morning, crank no start again! I am not pulling any codes at all. I don't have an advanced code reader - just a basic Bosch, but the normal codes will come up on it and I'm getting none.

The batteries are charged and on a crank, I am not getting any oil pressure on the dash gauge, which probably isn't a good thing - the tac does move, but that probably doesn't mean much.

I'm not a guy that most would consider a wrench - I'm on a serious budget, though, and cannot afford to run the truck down to the shop and would prefer to do the work myself if I can. I suspect an oil leak, probably the STC connector, but want to test it first. I need some advice and pretty basic step by step instructions or videos on how to do that air test. I'm also wondering about the IPR valve and, if that is bad, if that's a symptom of a bad HPOP?

BTW, I just spent 2400 on replacement injectors, too. I'm anal about oil, and am running Rotella full synthetic (changed every 4k) and new Motorcraft fuel and oil filters, installed in the last month.

I'm definitely not wanting to throw more good money after bad into this truck, but if it's a fix I can handle, I'll do it and gladly drive it another 100K. It's paid off and has 154k on it now, so it's still cheaper to fix it than to buy a new one. Any help you guys can offer will be greatly appreciated. Please use small words - I'm not a tech!

See less See more
#2 ·
Update:
So I went out and pulled the oil filter and ran the low pressure oil test by cranking to see if the filter housing would fill. It does, and it fills rapidly, so I'm guessing that the low pressure side is good to go - so there must be a leak in the HPO side. I'm wondering if a faulty STC would have caused the ICP code? After replacing the ICP a couple weeks ago, the truck ran great, but now it won't fire and there are no codes on my reader. Most threads indicate that the STC prevents hot starts, but I'm guessing that means that it won't affect a cold start? I'm also assuming that would be true as long as the fitting isn't completely gone. Also, since this truck was running great up until yesterday morning, what are the chances that the STC would go kaput in the driveway and not cause a drivability issue?

BTW, the oil filter and cap are OEM Motorcraft parts, so no issues there. The little spring valve in the bottom of the housing seems to be working correctly, as well.

So a couple of questions, first, do all the experts here agree with the STC being the probable suspect? If so, what specialty tools do you guys recommend for pulling the turbo and HPOP?

Second, would it be smarter to check the IPR first? Would the IPR typically throw a code if it was stuck? Also, again, what specialty tools would you recommend for an IPR removal? I have done the intake and FICM before with tools on hand, but the IPR looks a little sketchy from the location. Thanks

#4 ·
First, please quit throwing parts at the truck. It seems like you want it to run great, but throwing parts at it trying to get it to be reliable will frustrate you and reduce your bank account. There's no panacea with these 6.0's and they will make you pay for your ignorance.

Try disconnecting the ICP sensor and seeing if it starts. Since you just replaced it, I wouldn't expect that to be the issue, but it won't hurt to try. After that, I would become VERY familiar with DieselTechRon's videos. DieselTechRon - Watch Helpful DIY Ford Video Tutorials

#5 ·
Yea, I really want it to run great, but getting it to run at all is the first priority! I have tried starting with the ICP unplugged - no bueno. I also tried unplugging the EGR valve, just to see, but still nothing...

I've watched a bunch of Ron's videos, too, but am still up in the air about where to go from here. Just looking for some ideas that will get me going in the right direction. It seems that this crank/no start is a common issue, but it's caused by a million things.

#6 ·
#10 ·
Yes. The Ford extended PIDs have to be manually entered, but it will read them. BPD sells a preprogrammed unit, but the only reason I'd recommend a ScangaugeII is for instant gratification from a local store. If you're going to order something, I'd recommend one of the other options. If you have a place in your area that you can buy an elm327 OBDII adapter and you have an android device, that and Torque Pro would be my first suggestion.

#12 ·
I saw the following codes: P1378 FICM voltage low. P0284. P0261 Injector circuit low....not in that order necessarily. And everyone else told me to check ICP and IPR data. But, in the end is was a simple wiring harness. I just joined a few minutes ago and I have not read through all of your posts, but I hope this helps.

#13 ·
Ok, thanks. I'm not throwing any codes. I did have an ICP low pressure code a couple weeks ago, but replaced the ICP and the truck ran great and all codes cleared. Nothing now, though.

Also, please forgive me if I'm a bit repetitive and rambly this morning. I didn't sleep much last night and was up at 3 this morning with this truck on my brain. Losing sleep over this thing sucks.

#15 ·
Update
I just went out and put it back on the code reader - this time I got a P2285, Injector Control Sensor Pressure Low. I'm not sure why that wasn't showing up before. I pulled the ICP connector off again and tried starting it - still a no go. There is a knocking sound while I crank the engine, which if I remember correctly, there was something in one of Ron's videos about that - I'll have to go review. I just replaced the ICP sensor a couple weeks ago. I have to get (borrow) a better scanner to see what the voltage looks like before I say it's bad.

So with the low pressure oil pump pushing oil into the filter housing and the ICP low pressure, if it's not the sensor, we're back to STC, correct?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.